How long does it take..........

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
you guys to complete your horsey chores? I know this has been asked before, but, just curious (again)!

So, summer -
and winter -
(I am guessing you have different time scales for different seasons?)

For me - it takes me about an hour and ahalf in the morning (incuding riding)
Evening in summer - about half to an hour (I do a LOT of pootlingn about in the tack room!lol)

Over to you.........................!

Just also wanted to add - I have this routine going as well, whereby I just can't tuck them up at night or turn them out until I've swept up properly - really OCD I know......(and a bit sad!). Wonder if sweeping burns calories.........?!

Ages, I usually spend between two and four hours a day with mine. I am not sure what I get up to, a lot off pootling I suspect. The last three days its been flying visits as I have had a sinus infection but tomorrow it will be all day most likely:smile:

On a very basic day in the summer 10 minutes in the morning to call them over, check them up and down, fly spray if needed and spread a slice of hay out. Evening same minus the hay and a feed each instead. They bring themselves in so takes about 20 minutes at night.

Winter a bit longer checking rugs/extra hay etc but on a basic essentials day that is it.

That rarely happens obviously, I have some days I have mammoth poo picking sessions, tonight I am bathing Albert (going to aim for one a day this week bathing) then exercising/training all 4 of them too. I just take each day as it comes though- I hate routine and hate planning. Just get there and go along doing what needs/feel like doing/ what the horses want to do. E.g Albert hung around last night so I gave him a good scratch and cuddles and practised some backing up etc. Realised he is a bit itchy so that's why bathing tonight.

My summer and winter visits are the same. A non-riding flying visit takes about 1hr 30mins.

I allow 25mins car journey each way in non-rush hour traffic. 5mins to make feeds and walk to the ponies field. 10mins while they're eating to poo pick and do feet.

If I'm riding then i allow an extra 30mins on top of that to bring her in, for her to eat, to get her ready to ride and to untack and pop her back up to field again. Then add on whatever riding time.

The usual visit including riding takes 3-3.5 hours.

Things will be different soon but for now:

Summer: morning 15mins, poo pick, fly spray small bit of hay
Evening : Ride every night so 2-21/2 hours (poo pick, bring in groom, tack up, ride, groom again, feed, back out, clean tack, clean up home)

Winter: morning, change turn out, muck out 30 mins
Evening: Finish mucking out, hay water etc poo pick field, bring in, groom, ride etc rug up and tuck up, clean tack and clean up again around 2 21/2 hrs as don't ride for as long in the winter.

Weekends as long as I can get away with:yellowcarded:

Just based on today !!

Fetched in 2 mares that are out overnight, in daytime, fed, booted and turned out 3 geldings, about 10 mins...had my breakfast!!

Lunchtime did stables evening feeds etc ( three stables on straw, two (mares) just skipping out rubber mats) filled water tubs and checked all field troughs and horses including RS ponies..about 1 hour

Early evening geldings in, boots off and mares out 10 minutes

Just given geldings night feeds...5 mins look around fields counting legs 10 minutes.

This was however our day off so no ragwort digging, fence mending, school levelling, riding, teaching, feed fetching...just the basics!!

2 hours currently. This includes doing something, even if my something is nothing. So today just had good groom and camel lip and sway.
This was after the session of making friends with wormer. Bought gadget for this.

Hmmm... Well when I was at college so sept to june I was down at 7, turned the pony out 20mins fields is like a 10 mins walk! Muck out, 30mins net and tea done 15 mins tops. So i could get her done within the hour. On the evening. skip out and bed down 15 mins ,ride- about 30 mins to an hour and a half then feed lol. So atleast 2 hours lol. Now I am normally at the yard about 3 hours in the morning if i bike but that includes have a natty and a cuppa tea aswell as bringing the pony in, skipping out, poo picking and riding etc :)

newrider.com