How long does it take

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Just wondering how long it takes to get your horse from its field.
I know some people are fortunate to have there horses at home but some on a yard have a long walk to get your horse in and turn it out. So just wondered how long or how far you have to walk.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Depends where she is in it.:)

If by the barn then that's by the gate, otherwise it might take five minutes if I need to call her.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Raf is in a paddock close to the yard but Jack is in a field at the far end of the property. It's only a couple of minutes walk really to the field but then there are three sets of gates and negotiating through another field with horses in to contend with. Plus it's a long field and he doesn't come to call - in fact if he sees you approaching he puts his head down and attempts to cram in as much grass as he can before you get to him - so it could take 15 mins to get him. Not that long I suppose.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Two minutes now but at the old place longer, maybe about five ten minutes. When I first got her it was a really long walk through other paddocks and having to do lots of other gates - think fields of killer shetties etc:p I must have been a lot fitter back then......o_O

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I walk out of my house, down the drive, down the road about 200m, turn into a little path in the hedge and go through the padlocked gate into my field, then walk along the bottom of my neighbour's section about 100m to the field where the boys are.

Ziggy hears my footsteps on the gravel of our drive and he's usually waiting at the bottom by the time I get there, calling to say he is hungry!

I allow 10 minutes to bring him up to the house for trimmer, clipper etc and 30 minutes to get ready to go out.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
About 10 mins as its quite a walk and have to negotiate numerous gates, the main gate which needs locking behind us and cross a road. But well worth it for perfect yard for him.

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I live about half a mile from my field, can park right at the gate so two minutes tops. I do have to store my tack at home but I’d prefer that anyway, it’s just an advert sitting in an unmanned building with everyone else’s tack imo. I am on a livery yard but my field is set apart from the rest and I don’t use the stables so quick and easy.
I will never take it for granted as as a kid I had ponies for eight years and had to cycle two miles with a steep incline, saddle on the handle bars. Would take an hour tops to get down to the field catch, tack up and secure our bikes.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My barn in in the field and doubles as their shelter so its more the issue of trying to do things without them noticing me and getting under foot :p The field is about 3 mins walk from home. When I was sharing G the other summer that was much more of a pain, 10 mins drive to the yard, then his field was 1/4 mile away, back down the drive and through the forest. As G had sweet itch and required lotions and potions, fly rug, muzzle etc I had to allow 1 to 1.5 hours on top of riding time to get him in and out, feed and do his daily things. It's one of the reasons I gave him up as soon as I did, I couldn't just nip in for a quick ride, even if I didn't ride it would take an hour to do his basics.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Many of my riding lessons and my helping were at a yard where turn out and teaching arena were some way from the stables and tackroom. But in opposite directions.Both routes involved turning into and out of normal roads with traffic. And students were told to allow 10 minutes. The horses were very accustomed to following those routes and tolerating all types of vehicle, including large tourist coaches.
I am posting here not because of the time input but the behavioural gain both for horses and students.
I am convinced that learning to lead various horses and take independent decisions gave me a competence with horses that I would never have got at a school where the turn out and arenas were on site. And that for the horses, being led and complying on the ground, improved their compliance when I rode.
The same goes for time spent grooming and tacking up - The YO certainly believed that the reason my share behaved with me was that I had spent many weeks teaching her not to bite when I was grooming her or tacking up. It looks like time lost before riding. But from my perspective really isnt. Changes at the RS mean I havent been able to groom, lead or untack Grace these last 6 months and I feel that is a loss both for her and myself.

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
No time at all really. I have my own yard. Stables and yard are right beside my fields . Usually I shout and they make there way to the gate. Although I do have a small grass paddock across the road which I don't really use for the horses anymore but when I did I had 3 gates to go through and a road to cross. Just really use it for the sheep on occassion now.

Reactions: Trewsers

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Harvey takes about 10 minutes if I am fetching him in to ride as the geldings always seem to graze at the far end of the field. If its coming in time he will either we at the gate, or come when I call so only 5 minutes.