How long have you been riding?

Happy Hacker 01

Jul 8, 2009
Ok, so I have really stolen this post from H&H! :eek:

Most people on H&H seem to have been riding since they were tiny and most at 20 years +

I started riding when I was 9 at a riding school & gave up when I was 11. Got back into it at 19 for 6 months or so, then another break! (Couldn't afford lessons then!) Now at 26 I've found Shads, and have been riding again since last May....No way am I giving up this time!! :D

Still very much a novice though! Please tell me there's some more people on here who weren't 'born in the saddle!!' :p

I have a photo of me sitting on mum's horse aged about 3 months!! But I didn't start lessons til I was 12ish, got a loan at 15-17, then pretty much stopped completely for about 12 years. Now been back in the saddle for about 9 years and don't intend to stop until I physically can't ride anymore!!

I have been riding since i was about 6 and i'm now 30, did have a break for about 4 years when i had my daughter, then bought another horse.

I first started riding about 30 years ago. I haven't been riding regularly for all that time though and the riding I like to do means that I'm still very much a novice and shall for ever remain so. I bought my first horse 3 years ago.

I used to ride a bit when I was little. My auntie has always had horses and I would go over to hers and have a little walk and trot. Never had lessons though.

I then started having lessons when I was about 20, and had lessons on and off since then and in between having two children.

Before having children I had loads of confidence. Would jump and jump without stirrups and without reins :eek:

I am now 36 and worry loads. I dont jump anymore.

I have ridden continuously for the past 6 years.

I have owned my 3 horses now for 2 1/2 years and absolutely love dressage as my boy Trakehner is a complete dressage star :D

From age 9-17 - idiotic happy hacker, galloped anywhere, jumped anything, not taught in an RS, didn't compete.

From age 29 (six months ago) till now - confidence lacking gentle hacker (if you can even call it hacking). Starting from scratch again, will never aspire to more than a good long summer ride in some nice countryside.

Will always call myself a novice.

I was pony crazy when I was little. Had lessons and pony holidays from age of 5 to about 11 but I don't remember being that good, I never did proper jumping just walk trot canter and popping the odd cross pole. Started again in October and going back to basics in lessons but not aiming too high... control and not falling off are what I'm going for then we'll see where we go from there :p

Have been having lessons / riding properly for 6 years now. So not born into the saddle at all! Rode sporadically as a kid - but mainly either scrounged rides or when parents could afford, which wasn't very often.

I was a pony mad youngster but parents thought it was a phase so no riding for me :(

I bought my first horse when I was 20, am now 25 :)

Wish I could of rode when I was little though! Am too much of a nervous nelly to really let go now which is a shame :rolleyes:

I learnt to ride when I was 37, got my first horse when I was 39 and now Im nearly 41 :D :D :D It all seemed like a good idea at the time :D :D :D I dont regret a moment but perhaps with hindsight shouldve been riding more than a few months before I got a bolshy mare!!!! I only learnt to ride as a way to spend some quality time with my teenagers - had always been a bit wary of horses (and cows but never learnt to ride one of those :p) 6 months later kids are bored but Im hooked!

Rosie arrived on my birthday (happy conincidence) so we'll be celebrating 2 years together in a couple of weeks

Last edited:
Started riding aged 4-so 30 years!
Started off in a riding school but got into mounted games from the ages of 9-24. Having the occasional lesson again now, but too many years doing the games has taught me lots of bad habits! :eek:

I had a couple of years when I was small, and then didn't sit on a horse for almost another 30 years. I started back shortly before I joined NR, it will be 9 years this easter :)

I rode friends' ponies on occasion from the age of about 15, but I was about 19 before I had the opportunity to ride frequently. I'm now 24 so I guess I've "been riding" for about 5 years. And for the majority of that I've been a full-time groom :rolleyes:

newrider.com