How long riding before you loaned or bought a hourse

Tallynpoppet

Mar 31, 2008
wolverhampton, West Midlands
Hi I am new on here, been having lessons on and off since I was about 8 - now 27.

I am looking for a horse to loan possibly so I can start riding a lot more than once a week!

Just wondered how long everyone was riding on here before they loaned or bought a horse - I am just being generally nosey!!!

Also how did you know that the time was right to loan or buy a horse?

Sometimes I doubt myself and think I am being stupid of even thinking of loaning a horse! I probably think that I am not good enough or havent got the confidence.

Any tips or advice would be great

Lucy
xx

Its not all to do with how well you can ride, you must have a good amount of care knowledge, you must be able to spot illnesses, know how they should be treated etc. Although riding is important aswell, if you dont have enough knowledge, then you shouldnt in theory buy a horse, it would end up in tears.

xx:D

I rode for about 18month-2years when i was about 6ish, which was nice, then i deicded i was going to like football instead and stopped....started up again when i was about 10 for about 2 years then i got my own. Well i got some shetlands a uyear before thaty, but they werent ridable.
Of course i got a pony which was in no way a novice ride. I didnt start riding properly, as in getting the horse working correctly util i had my own pony.
It depends on what level of teaching you have had, any pics?
I am sure you will be fine, your thinking sensibly aobut it at least, not just goin- ooh i tihnk i'll have a horse
(we got one basically because we bought a house with land- if in doubt, why not try sharing one first, someone else to help weit the stable management side)

I rode for about 8 years then started loaning a few of the riding school's horses. Then i finally bought my own :) Best thing i ever done. All i would say is go for it . :D

If it was something you were seriously considering yourself, maybe look at sharing first, that way the owner would be about and notice any problems that your lack of experience may overlook.
I was in a very similar situation to you, always loved horses never had the money to get one of my own ridden from very young with a break in the middle and am now thirtyone.
The only experience I had with horses other than riding in a school or hack at a local RS was that I could tack up, rug up, pick hooves and very basic knowledge of grooming and had done minimal mucking out BUT I got a part share/loan (three days a week) in a rescue shire mare september last year, it only lasted just under a couple of months cause her owner needed to rehome her but it was an amazing few months for me, her owner was there almost every time I went down, seeing to her other horse and was always on hand to answer questions or advise me if I was worried about anything, I probably drove the poor girl up the wall :rolleyes: I will always be greatful of the opportunity I was given with the gorgeous big girl.
What I would say though is to be perfectly honest about your experience and ask a potential share horses owner if you could shadow her/him for a while first to learn what you can and their preferred method of doing things with their horse.

The first time i rode was on a school adventure holiday when i was 9 years old (30 years ago, omg now i feel old)

i'll never forget it, it was a little black pony called titch. I was immediately hooked. unfortunately we had no riding schools near us and my parents didn't drive and as the eldest of 6 travelling miles by bus was not an option, but still i used to dream of having a horse of my own and riding everywhere

11 years later (aged 20) i joined the army and we had riding schools everywhere i was posted and immediately started riding, at one point i was riding everyday and got pretty good until they started me jumping and i had a small fall. then i had my children so didnt ride for a few years

i took it up again about 3 years ago and yet again i was riding about 5 times a week at a cost of well over £100 per week

eventually my lovely OH said we would be better off buying a horse, then i could ride out to my hearts content. So as we have some land at home, he had stables built for me and bought me my first horse, unfortunately we had problems (will go into this in a seperate thread). i no longer have him but i have 3 horses now

my advice would be go for it if you can and realise the huge commitment involved, horses still need caring for if your unwell, hungover and on holiday

and more importantly make sure you have a great support network

my last riding school did a scheme where you could have a horse on loan for a week, month etc and this was a great idea for anyone thinking of buying/loaning. ask around and see if any riding schools in your area do this kind of thing. it's a real eye opener, still wasnt enough to put me off though

I'd been riding about 3 years when I got mine - had him 6 months now.

I knew I had the riding ability to have my own as I was having 3/4 lessons a week and also riding horses for people who didn't have the time but I didn't have the general horse care knowledge so I did a horse management course and also helped out at a local yard for a few months to build up my knowledge before buying my own.:)

I had ridden as a child, although not had formal lessons, and gave up after 6th form. I took up again (formal lessons this time - what a shook that was to the system!) and had been riding about 6 months until my RI mentioned that my favourite horse (who I was sat on at the time) was going to be up for sale - she was on working livery.

I contacted the owners and took her on working livery loan for 6 weeks before buying her.

I moved her to a private yard owned by my friend and it was just me and her. She gave me back up and advice.

I was there for 9 months and then moved to where I am now which is 5 acres I rent myself having been there a month sub-letting and then getting the chance to take it on myself.

I have a number of knowledgeable people around me, I have NR to ask questions of and I am not shy about goignt to the vet if I suspect a problem.

The key thing is to now what is normal for your horse and to be able to detect changes in behaviour.

I don't know symptoms of ilnesses but I do know when something isn't right and a vet who will know what is wrong :)

Tyler was bought 3 months after I started riding :eek:

In all honesty, he suited me to a T. Although I dont always hold the yard he was bought form in high esteem, I can't thank the YO enough for advising me to buy Tyler.

He is kept on Full Livery at the moment, but when it came to knowing the right time, I just went with gut instinct (I go on alot about it). It felt right so I went with it and it hasn't failed me yet. I have a massive support group around me which includes many NR's (big thanks to Nik-n-Kia, marsden, Nookster and Jenni) who have advised me and told me off for doing silly things.

As Joyscarer said, on the couple of times Tyler has had minor ailments (nothing requiring vet treatment) it is like a mother with her child. You might not be able to identify the exact problem, but you know something is wrong. I am one of the soppy people that not only goes byhow well the horse looks or works, but if I feel a connection with it (although with Tyler I suspect he was more connected with the polomints I carried about the yard than myself :mad: )

If you feel confident enough to get your own horse and are able to support it for the rest of your life, ensuring its welfare and happiness are always maintained at the top end of your priority list I say go for it.

Thanks for everyones reply some really good advice from you all.

I am going to ask my rising school about a stable management course when I have my next lesson on Sunday - If I could do a course or even help somewhere I think I would feel more confident. I would probably have to go with a full livery due to work committments - sometimes I have to work late, and this way I know it would be looked after all the time if I wasnt able to get there.

I might see if my riding school offers some monthly loans as well as its not far from where I live and could pop up there after work and maybe spend some time helping them out.

There are hardly any shares available I am always on the look out - there are never any in my area, or they require a more advanced rider.

I just keep thinking about being able to ride whenever I feel like it - I bet its ace! And looking after a lovely horse and to bond with one would be amazing, its lovely riding the riding school horses but I would love to have that horse and rider bond and have lots of exciting adventures! I bet I sound potty!!!!

ps sorry about my long reply!

I have helped out at several yards for 3 years since i was 12 and rode since i was 8 (now 15) and last september thought i should put my knowledge into practice and look for a loan.

Also it meant i could do one-to-one things and expand my knowledge on a on-to-one basis with a horse i was familiar with.

I wanted to be able to do my own things and thought well i can school horses, safely hack out and can jump up to about 75cms and give me a variety of options i could do on my own and maybe teach the horse i was loaning aswell as the horse teaching me. I wanted something that was sort of my own responsibility and i could commit to without it being as big as commitment as having your own horse.

I got to a point where i thought i was experianced and responsable enough to do things on my own but also have the support of someone if i had trouble.

Sorry for the long response!

ETA: and im still looking now!! :p

9 months for us, before I bought the girl I would try to get at the RS. It was a HUGE learning curve afterwards I must say as she had been in RS for most of her days and I knew very little. However 11 years on we are still going strong. I have learnt so much through her, so while it is not always the best idea for a complete novice to take on a horse, if you a practical person, remain realistic and make sure you have a good network of support (regular lessons too!!) then it can be done!

Good Luck with your search!!

newrider.com