How long to ride young horse on hacks?

Ryder

Dec 12, 2008
North Yorkshire
Do you think my nearly 4 year old, recently started 15.2 horse could manage more than an hour's hack without his back or muscles being pushed too hard? He's been hacking out for 2 weeks, & is out 24/7 & is very active in the field. I am stuck with tarmac until I can take him out for an hour & a half minimum to get him onto some quiet lanes. I don't want to put him off being ridden by tiring him out or giving him a sore back. He has a comfy sheepskin lined treeless endurance saddle, & is very forward-going, but this is a mental rather physical thing.

Not so much necessarily the back and muscles, but also you must consider splints with young horses. Hard ground (dry fields, roads...) are not ideal as the constant pressure on the bone can cause splints. It is because their bones are still developing.

I am sure someone else on here will be able to give you more in depth knowledge about splints than I can.

I walk my just turned 3 yo out inhand for an hours hack, to build her up for when i back her later this year, Maybe you could walk inhand with yours some days and then ride the rest?:) We have alot of hills where iam and she is building up lovely and so is my bum:eek:

newrider.com