How long would it take to ride 5 miles??

a+e

Jul 3, 2007
suffolk
This is how far away my daughters riding school is and she wants to take her there in the easter hols but we have no trailer.

I know 5 miles doesnt sound much but it seems quite a way when we drive it, and we only ever ride quite short distances (plus i would be on the bike so dont know if i could make it!:D)

So, what would that distance mean to you? piece of cake? Am i just too unfit..
and roughly how long would it take to get there?

A normal walk is approx 2-3 miles an hour - this would be your gentle walk speed, not storming off but not ambling along either. Your hack to the school would take about 1 and a half hours. Does she want to take him for the day, or to stay the week (or a few days)? If he's staying overnight or longer, I would say it would be absolutely fine. However its a bit much to expect him to hack that far then have a lesson then hack home the same day.
I used to hack my horse round a 6 mile circular route, they weren't exceptionally fit and they didn't struggle. :)

Thanks for that, that should be ok then.

Shes going to hopefully keep her there for a day or 2 and have a few lessons/ hacks so once she got there she can have a rest till next day.

She would struggle if she had to hack back the same day after having a lesson so no this wouldnt be an option for us

newrider.com