How many brushes in your grooming bag?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
And how many do you use in reality?

I brought my grooming bag home today to give it a good wash, together with the brushes. I have 6 brushes, alongside sweat scraper, curry comb etc. They all got washed, but I realised that in fact I generally only use the mane brush and the magic brush daily.
Very occasionally, if I am just grooming and not riding......so when I’m not in a rush........I will use a body brush and face brush too.

In the top tray of my grooming box I don't have many brushes - body brush, comb (which I use for cleaning the brushes not on Raf), hoof pick, magic brush, rubber-prongy-loose-hair-remover brush, scissors, grooming block, plaiting bands. I use all of these regularly. Whatever is lurking in the bottom section of the grooming box obviously doesn't get used much because I couldn't even tell you what's there ...

I have a main grooming kit. Which contains about 5 different brushes.
Then in the back of the grooming kit draw I have a selection of other brushes. Some of those are only used a certain times of the year. Like my shedding blade. That is currently in use every day so currently in main grooming kit. But in a months time will go to the back of the draw and stay there till next year.
I have one firm but soft brush which lives in the back of the draw and only comes out when I clip as its perfect for brushing down whilst I'm clipping and for a couple of weeks after I've clipped but useless as a daily grooming brush after that.

I've got a magic brush, a hoof pick, mane and tail brush and a rubber massage mit, I've got some other brushes but I couldn't tell you what they are and they haven't seen daylight for about 7 years!

In my daily kit I have a long flicky dandy brush which is the main brush I use on Jess year round, a mane/tail brush, a magic brush as it's better for the boys coats, a shedding blade and a short bristled dandy brush for stubborn stains and a body brush, those two I only use occasionally. I have a stash of old brushes in my trunk which are handy for non-grooming jobs (scrubbing buckets, boots etc.) and as spares if I'm desperate, honestly I'm just a hoarder and won't throw things our until they are useless :D
In my show/travel kit I have a dandy, a body, a goats hair body, a polishing cloth, a curry and a mane/tail brush, comb and hoof pick.

Far more than I need! Probably have about 8 or 9, but only use 3, one is plastic with teeth, that's good for getting old coat or bits out, a body brush, and a brilliant circular one for mane, tail and feathers. Very occasionally use his face brush. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a hoarder too! ;)

newrider.com