How many failed vetting before purchasing?

SO1

New Forests Rule!
Nov 26, 2004
Visit site
After looking at 7 ponies I thought had found the perfect one and have just experienced my first failed 5 stage vetting. The owners where not dishonest just had the pony since it was a foal and did not know about the problems.

He was also alot smaller than advertised but then they had never measured him just guessed and seemed bigger than some of the other ponies I had seen advertised as the same size so I didnt think anything of it!

Just wondering how many failed vettings people had before they found the right horse. It could get expensive!

I was lucky and the two I have passed with flying colours. Having said that, I know folk who have bought after a 5 stage vetting was failed - but I'm not sure how that worked out - it would depend what was wrong with the horse. Sorry to hear yours failed - it must not have been meant to be, I'm sure the right one will come along.......I know its expensive too, but it might be saving you a fortune in vet fees.

Have never bought one that passed a vetting...the first two horses I owned failed on flexions (but were never unsound with me) and the current one was so young and cheap I didn't bother having him vetted.

The second horse I bought failed his vetting showing up 4/10th lame on the flexion on the right fore, but passed a full vetting 2 years later when I sold him on. I guess I'm a bit cynical after that :eek:

I would never overlook a horse who failed a vetting but I am a leisure rider. If I was looking for a competition horse then things would be different.

This is probably going to be frowned upon...but...if a horse is less that £5000 in value then you don't have to provide a vetting certificate for insurance. Read into that what you will ;)

Last edited:
like i said, im so sorry to hear :( (will ring you hopefully tomorrow, too tired today). angel didnt pass her vetting either BUT for a more superficial reason (ie nothing that would go on insurance docs!).

at least you have rocky to cheer you up (rocky? cheer anyone up? that'll be the day!!) for a bit longer now :)

there is a pony out there for you, i am sure of it :)

Julia
x

Had one horse fail vetting (glad he did looking back) and mum convinced me to go see Silver - I was up for giving up the search for a while. Silver passed with flying colours, so only one :)

Mum's horse passed first time - we had no others vetted when searching for hers.

I don't really believe many Vets declare a 'failure'. They will ring you up to discuss their findings in context of your requirements and then it is up to you.

As far as height is concerned unless you are looking at serious competition and height is critical eg 14.2 fantastic 14.3 worthless! then I would go more on your impression of the horse.

I have had vets refer back with a 'negative' finding but in only one case where horse was too severely lame to vet (doped when we tried it) did we not proceed although often at a different price. Things like flexion tests, heart murmurs etc should be , with the owners permission, discussed in context of the horses veterinary history before making a decision.

Max was the first horse that I bought without having him vetted. I know that some people thought I was mad for doing this but as soon as I saw him I knew we were a perfect match! I was prepared to take on any ailments that he might have:D Ok, we have had our fair share of vets bills but it's just that he is for such a big 'sturdy' horse quite a delicate daisy! I wouldn't swap him for the world though! :p None of the ailments he has had or has have been anything that would have been picked up in a vetting anyhow! They are all 'common' seasonal problems that most horse owners have plus I trusted the lady that I bought him off of and we still have contact! In fact we swapped horses!

I have previously had horses vetted and they passed, guess I have just been lucky :D

I've never had a horse vetted, but 2 out of the 3 would have been pretty much guaranteed a 'fail' so didn't see any point spending money to be told what I already knew. The third I got from an auction with no opportunity to get her vetted.

One wonky footed and looked like she had sweet itch (mane all gone, big chunk of tail rubbed out), turned out not to have sweet itch and foot isn't a real problem after a few good pedicures. Other totally lame with some strange things vaguely resembling feet on the ends of her legs, now has proper feet and is sound.

Last edited:
I don't really believe many Vets declare a 'failure'. They will ring you up to discuss their findings in context of your requirements and then it is up to you.

As far as height is concerned unless you are looking at serious competition and height is critical eg 14.2 fantastic 14.3 worthless! then I would go more on your impression of the horse.

I have had vets refer back with a 'negative' finding but in only one case where horse was too severely lame to vet (doped when we tried it) did we not proceed although often at a different price. Things like flexion tests, heart murmurs etc should be , with the owners permission, discussed in context of the horses veterinary history before making a decision.

Unfortunately this pony was advertised at 14.1 and only 13.1 although I am only 5.2ft so not really an issues, there is a big price difference between 14.1's and 13.1. He also had cataracts which although do not affect his vision would be an exclusion from insurance and raised digital pulses before work and vet reckoned that another week on good grass and he would have full blown lami. He also bolted and deposited his rider (although she was not his regular rider)

I dont have access to strip grazing so had specifically said that I did not want anything that had had laminitis or that had grass management issues.

He was a 5 year old and based on the above I think his value was only about £1400 and he was on the market for £2600. Anyway he was not really suitable. I know people do buy horses with negative vettings but I want to be as sure as possible to have a positive start.

Well my vet told me,only 1 in 20 pass the vetting 5 stage, that not to say the horse as anything major wrong with them, but because there is this , we will sue you if its not right, its easier for them just to fail them, after all you will get another one vetted, and that's another £200 for them.

Last edited:
1 in 20 is not very many really considering all the things that can go wrong with horses and remain undetected to the normal person's eye.

I think vets and potential purchasers are more careful now. I think also people are more aware of the impact of problems. You might think oh I can cope with a laminitic horse or one with severe sweet itch but then having experienced it you realise it is something you can cope with but could really do without!

As Julia said I am sure there is a pony out there waiting for me to take it home, I just need to be patient and accept that it might take me 6 months or more and I should be grateful that I have friends who will lend me ponies in the meantime even if they are a little crazy (ponies not friends ;)

When you find a horse or pony you like, i would ask the owner for their vets details and ask them to give their vet permission to provide you with any treatment given. If they dont want to do this i would smell a rat :)

My boy failed his first vetting due to lameness but had him revetted 2 weeks later and he passed. When he's stood up vertically on his back two legs with me clinging onto his back I do wish I had moved on when he first failed but I love him really so I'm glad I persevered :D

Good luck with your search, you'll find something :)

Last edited:
True eml....in fact, vets definitely do not 'pass' or 'fail' a vetting as you have said. They base their vetting on what you have said you want the horse for....if there is anything that would stop or hinder the horse doing what you want if for, they will simply state this on the form/discuss with you. Or as you have said eml...they will ring and discuss any problems with you.
I have had all my horses vetted...but don't know why really, as I have still bought even when there have been 'issues' found! It would have to be hugely major for me to spend £200 on a vetting and then not buy!!

S

True eml....in fact, vets definitely do not 'pass' or 'fail' a vetting as you have said.
S

I know what you mean but it difficult to describe it other than failed vetting! Personally I would be worried about anything that would affect insurance or cause illness in the 1st 14 days of ownership (this is not normally covered under insurance).

newrider.com