How many lessons for 6 year old child?

scorpio1985

Aug 12, 2020
I'm thinking about adding a second lesson per week for my little one but I'm not sure if it would be money well spent since she is so young. She is posting on the lunge, steering, stop, go, and a little trotting with RI next to her by herself at end of lesson but she struggles to keep the pony moving.

Should I wait and save the additional lesson for when she is old enough to progress a bit or will the additional lesson help her progress...

The more time in the saddle the better most people say. If you are managing to find a riding school that caters for your childs abilities thats great. You dont want your child to be over horsed, and loose confidence by having too many falls.

However i have read a few things about children riding when they are young. Especially riding horses that are quite wide. The indication is that it can effect childrens bone structure because of the way they sit. So i guess if they were riding frequent this could happen. Not wishing to put you off but it might be something to think about. I cant tell you if there is any proper scientific evidence to support this but ive read it a few times.
I certainly would not discourage a child from riding if she is enjoying it. Even just being around horses is a good thing and teaches responsibility and good therapy.

I'd be guided by what your child wants. If she's pony mad and would enjoy the extra pony time then go ahead, but try to force her to do something she's really not bothered about and you'll just put her off altogether. As a child I would have had as many riding lessons as I could, however the private violin tuition my parents paid for (because I once thought I might be interested in playing the violin when it was mentioned at school) were not so welcome and I ended up hating the violin (and no doubt being a huge disappointment to my parents lol).

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
The more time in the saddle the better most people say.

However i have read a few things about children riding when they are young. Especially riding horses that are quite wide. The indication is that it can effect childrens bone structure because of the way they sit.
I would keep it as a weekly treat ad save the money for later. Most children including my grand daughter become good riders on one weekly ride. It is the cost really.

Reactions: Huggy
Go with the flow I suppose - if she's loving it, and it's affordable. I envy you - both my now adult children loved me having a horse, but riding was a passing phase for them - football and gymnastics took over :( I would have loved to have got a fat little pony for them!

I guess it depends on what ‘progress’ looks like for you? If she is a pony mad kid who begs to ride each day and is bouncing off the walls on the day or her riding lesson, an additional lesson per week would be great. If she isn’t that bothered then it may not be money well spent. At any age, the more riding time a person gets, the more experienced and secure the rider becomes. But only if the child wants to learn and wants to ride. I would be guided by her enjoyment and motivation.

Yes i would say once a week I only ride twice a month and am a decent rider and improve lots so she will earn very quickly with weekly lessons it also makes sure that she thinks it’s a treat and gets excited about every lesson xx

newrider.com