How many of you are putting hay out in fields?

yip been feeding hay for last 6 weeks cos the field is just to wet, if I let them on it now I'll have no grass next year, this crack is no good, time enough with all this in the winter.

I am, and have been doing most of the summer!

Pony on restricted grazing due to Lami! And of course the welsh D has to have a handful as well! Lol!

Been chucking a few sections in on a night time and in the morning for them. Have still got some grass but none in the other paddock and it needs resting for a couple of weeks so trying to prolong the grass in the other one!

the way my field is looking i wont need hay untill we get snow lol but seriously im glad i moved yards, i was feeding hay and full feeds all through summer and was costing about £30 a week in hay alone x

Oh no, we are still muzzling! Still plenty of grass, it is well grazed but still growing. I have only just moved to this yard, but apparently last year they didn't need to hay at all apart from when we had 2 weeks of snow :)

I don't evisage needing to hay this side of Christmas, assuming we don't have any awful weather.

I've never had a year like it in over 10 years of keeping horses. The paddock looks quite green but the horses are so hungry and one was visibly losing weight. I've been feeding hay now for nearly 8 weeks and it's costing a blooming fortune.

Nope, we have the perfect amount of grazing at the moment... just enough for them to munch on 24/7 and keep condition but not enough to get fat on :)

At my old yard the grass was all but gone by the end of July, very glad I moved! :)

I've been feeding it all summer. :mad: Grazing is appauling at my yard, but everything else makes up for it so i can't complain. Plus I only pay £5 a week for hay or haylage so I can give him as much as I want and it doesn't cost me anymore.

I'm wondering if to start or not? Horses are a good/nice weight at the moment but they are hungry for hay. Both want hay rather then the grass and today HArvey decided to tell me to get stuffed at putting him back out he wanted to stay in the stable where the hay was :eek: (he only comes in for a feed)

So is it about time? Need to get the fencing done on my winter field then they can go over there.

Crumbs, no :eek:

They're all still in small summer pens - too much bloomin' grass, and with all the rain it just keeps growing.

They might get some hay in the field in Jan/Feb if they're lucky.

Am quite lucky as i seem to have quite a bit of grazing and its growing. My TB mare whos a bit underweight is in a section with my young cob, there grazing it down nicely now and dont seem to be hungry, the other 2, welsh sec a and the little fat pony whos prone to lami is on a well grazed down field and they seem to be okay at the moment. Still have around 1.5 acres to play with with lots of grass as it was going to be cut for hay :eek: going to see how they get on with the grazing before i feed hay.

It's been very dry in Essex, I was haying in the field right from mid-July. Once we get some autumn rain there'll be a surge in growth; mare packed on weight unexpectedly last october, caught me surprise as by then I'd finished strip-grazing. Went away for 10 days, came home to a pony-pig!!

Nope plenty of grass for me as well, will probs have a lot over winter but then again I have one horse on a 4 acre thats been rested for 9 weeks, got my hay for the winter and got a haynet up in shelter for when she decides shes coming in great hay as well, so am all set hopefully for winter and its approaching fast, but shes holding weight very well and theres plenty of it but then again we have had the monsoon season in Cumbria last few weeks, but am happy I dont expect her to lose weight or condition over winter

Last edited:
newrider.com