how many of your horses have a favorite place they to b scratched!

horse_converted

Oct 30, 2006
Brisbane Queensland
Hi everyone

I was just wondering how many of your horses have there favorite place to b scratched? yesturday when i was at the RS to have my lesson before i had my lesson i was patting Brandy (knowen to everyone there as pandy) i started scratching the back of his ear and he loved it he just put his head down and stayed there the hole time. so after my lesson i was scratching him there since he had been a pretty good boy for me. he just nuseld me with his head while i did it lol :D.

thats when i thought i would ask other people about there horses lol

DJ likes to be scratched on his chest right between his front legs. Bixby loves the forehead and behind her ears and Minose likes to have her neck scratched or her chest or her forehead or her butt, but not her ears. Bixby is my snuggliest one though.

Molly is THE scratchiest horse I have ever known:D Some days, just touching her ever so gently makes her lips wobble:D :D But her favourite scratchy places are inside her back leg, just in the soft bits near her udder and in the back of her heels. She also goes mad for a scratch on her face, her ears, her withers, up and down the crest of her neck, inbetween her front legs........are you getting the picture?

star loves his bum being scratched!!!! :eek: if your stood with him and not doing anything in particular he will turn his bum to you and shove it in your face! he will also follow you with his bum if you move out the way :rolleyes:
he also loves his shoulder and withers being scratched and he will nuzzle you back if you get it just right!

Red has a 'eczema' patch under his belly which he loves to be scratched for him - since he can't get to it himself! xx

You know when horses get older, when they are semi sleeping/resting, their lower lip starts to hang? Well, my Trakehner loved to have his lip gentle rubbed.. :rolleyes: Weird horse..

Almost every horse seem to like their whithers scratched, especially when they are young, though many of them can try scratch you back, without realising that nuzzle is good, teeth bad! :eek:

Nina x

star loves his bum being scratched!!!! :eek: if your stood with him and not doing anything in particular he will turn his bum to you and shove it in your face! he will also follow you with his bum if you move out the way :rolleyes:

That EXACTLY what Milly does! Its so funny when she follows you round the stable with her bum wanting a scratch.

Frits loves having his belly scratched, unfortunately he likes it so much your hand is in danger of being slapped by something you don't want it slapped by:eek:

Mu and Paris love to have their faces rubbed:)

Mysty just loves being scratched anywhere! Today whilst I was watching M ride Mu, Mysty came to stand by me inviting me to give her a scratch, this is when she returns the favour and grooms back. Had me in hysterics because it was soooo tickilish:rolleyes: :D Then I scratched in little circles around her cheek and she dropped her head into my lap and became putty in my hands:D

Love these special moments with my horses:D

Frits loves having his belly scratched, unfortunately he likes it so much your hand is in danger of being slapped by something you don't want it slapped by:eek:

:D

lol. That made me laugh.:D

Lady isn't a touchy feely horse at all. she tolerates being groomed but doesn't like scratches on her body. although she'll stand for hours on end letting you scratch her tail. at the very top on either side. she lifts it up in the air so you can give it a good scratch for her. lol. strange horse my girl.

Skye loves behind her ears being scratched and will stand for hours while I'm scratching it! It can get quite tiring!

CeCe has a favorite place to scratch-Me.
Whenever the lesson is over and I'm taking off his bridle he stands for about 5minutes rubbing his face up and down my arm.
Slobber included.:rolleyes:

Not found a scratchy place on Chez, but Indy loves just under her ears being scratched... the eyes close in ecstasy and she starts to "rub" up and down too... bless :D

Fluke's a scratch-a-holic. Favourites include:
- between his front legs, which is handy as it's always caked with mud and it means I can get in there with the rubber curry comb
- back of ears
- under chin
- under mane
- forehead
- withers

Plus he'll "point out" spots on his flanks for me to scratch for him. He was really pleased when he trained me to do this.

He goes all wobbly and dreamy when he's getting a scratch, and I do sometimes wonder whether one day he might topple over on top of me. Has this ever happened to anyone?

JAckson likes a good scratch - it took me a week or so after he arrived to figure out the body language that meant "I'd like a scratch".

Mostly it is the top of his rump, but oddly, he also loves when I scratch under his chin, right between his jowls, from his gullet down to his lip - strange horse.

Joy was indifferent to being touched. We are just now getting to the stage where she appreciates being groomed and last week tried grooming me for the first time and that was a real tear jerker for me I can tell you :eek:

Now she likes being tickled in her chin groove and on her crest under the mane.

She is also starting to appreciate having just under her forelock scratched and puts her nose on my belly and shuts her eyes for a second until she remembers she isn't a touchy feely horse :rolleyes:

She really doesn't appreciate being patted and I prefer to show love through my hands by using a scratch or a smoothing.

ah bex J......... another human has been trained to scratch the udder area ..... as well as the tummy button area Taz loves right between her teats :eek: I dont have get some funny looks from some folk when I have my hand "up there" :eek: ... or even worse when I gently stroke under her tail :eek: :eek: :eek: . Well they cant reach these places by themselves !!!

Sometimes I will do a gentle all over "massage" and Taz to will be soooo relaxed and swaying at each rub ..... not Quite fallen over yet

Toby loves it behind the ears and around his poll. He'll tip his head toward you and make that face like "ohhh yeaaahh" and then when you stop, he'll nudge you and make you do it more. Carnegie likes his ears pulled/rubbed, but he likes it when you scratch up & down the underside of his neck. He finds that fun.

newrider.com