How many riders teach their horse walk to canter? How many riders get taught in lessons?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Random musing.

Today I wanted to work on her walk to canter transition. I was out in the field riding around known as schooling in some parts of the world :)
It was just something that popped into my head. Why do this from trot when walk was so much easier.
Now saying that I don't know if it's easier because she knows how to because I have taught her to, or if in fact it's actually easier for the horse, and that's why she picked it up?
And I don't think it's me having any skill because I have never been taught, which brings me onto lessons.
For those of you who have them, how many ri teach this movement? I never have been. It's always been from trot.
My ri was surprised she could I think because she's a bit on the lazy side.

I accidentally taught Storm to go from walk to canter. Hehehee. Not quite sure how it happened actually! It's a long time ago - memory is fuzzy lol I think I just fancied having a go one day and instead of trotting and going into canter I was walking and then just must have grabbed a handful of her mane (which originally was her cue to canter). In the end I only had to think canter and she was off - but of course she wasn't reading my mind, just tuned in to subtle movements? Like maybe I asked and she replied without realising?

It's always taught in western lessons, as is halt to canter, pretty sure I was taught it in English lessons too, as a way to sharpen them off the leg. The footfalls of walk are more similar to canter than walk so it's easier on them and you're more likely to get a good transition, I was also taught improving the walk improves the canter.

I've taught Gracie halt to canter. Okay, in reality we've been practising hard for the mounted games next weekend :p

If she does halt to canter its called a spook.
We do trot, halt, trot. I enjoy that as it appears to tune her in.

Yes, definitely taught indirect transitions as well as direct transitions were taught to me in riding school lessons.

It's something I've taught Pete (and pretty much every other horse I've owned or ridden) among other indirect transitions and have taught reinback before a transition too.

I was taught this as a child. I remember doing it during mounted games. It hasn't formed a part of my lessons as an adult, though.

Random musing.

Today I wanted to work on her walk to canter transition. I was out in the field riding around known as schooling in some parts of the world :)
It was just something that popped into my head. Why do this from trot when walk was so much easier.
Now saying that I don't know if it's easier because she knows how to because I have taught her to, or if in fact it's actually easier for the horse, and that's why she picked it up?
And I don't think it's me having any skill because I have never been taught, which brings me onto lessons.
For those of you who have them, how many ri teach this movement? I never have been. It's always been from trot.
My ri was surprised she could I think because she's a bit on the lazy side.
A few years ago I used to have regular lessons my horse at the time who could be lazy in the school and my riding instructor used to get us doing walk to canter to help give him more impulsion... it did work

newrider.com