How Much Do People Pay To Be Insulted!

Sorry NF, I agree with you on a lot of things but I don't have a problem with this guy at all! I actually find him amusing and it's a teaching style that would work for me quite well. Different people respond to different methods, and if you don't like the way someone teaches you don't have to go back!

ETA that vid is less than 4mins' footage of a session that probably lasted at least an hour. It's just clips of some comments he made, it's not the whole lesson so how do you know he didn't give any constructive advice?

Last edited:
True.

I guess having had an instructor who nagged and belittled me all the time, positive comments were never forthcoming. So it just surprised me why people would allow themselves to be spoken to like that.

An acquired taste as my friend put it.

Last edited:
That vid was heavily edited BUT even with constructive criticism in there too, in the old days it would have broken me as I wasn't very confident. In fact, I have never had a group lesson since I returned to riding in my 30's purely because of a lesson I had in my teens and am terribly self conscious riding in public.

Now if it happened I'd have the balls to explain how I best learn and to point out that if they can't cater to that then they aren't good enough to teach me.

The best lesson I ever saw was a Ride With Your Mind one. The instructor would say things like, 'That's it, that's what your aiming for so hold into that feeling' and then 'can you feel what the horse is doing now, what have you done differently?' It was alway focussing on how the horse went and you then needed to think about what you could do to change, rather than coming at it from a position/riding critique so that you could make the connection between your riding and how it affected the horse.

If he spoke to me like that I'd leave.

I don;t give a tuppeny how good he thinks he is, he's a crap teacher/instructor/ people person.

I don;t mind an instructor telling me the movment I have just performed is a buckle of dirt, that's what I am paying for, but elite rider trainer or not, talk to this old bat like that and live to regret it.

Sounds liek the worst kind of spiteful gay chap....and before you hammer me for having a go at gay men my current trainer is gay as a bottle of sausages and we laugh in lessons and actually achieve things!

I agree different things work for different people but imo there is no need to say such rude things to another person,he may be very good but for me he is also just been rude.there is constructive criticism and then there is sarcasm,yes the video is edited but he said such things all the same and I'm afraid I would not pay for that.

I agree with some of his instructions, but the way he said them were unforgivable.

The tossing of the head was interesting, nothing useful to learn from, apart from stop arguing with him.
The rest wasn't needed.
I actually asked my instructor the very same question as it happens and I got a reply on the lines because she is trying to lose your contact. I asked a question and got an answer.

Obviously he is good or people wouldnt pay for it but i simply would not pay a penny to be spoken to like that.

People must find his humour amusing but I do not and think maybe a few times yes but then he becomes too much and doing it purely for effect like these chefs on tv do when shout and swear for the camera....

I could not stick that voice hurling insults and he would not be for me at all.

As a teacher if I spoke to my kids like that I would get such a backlash and knock every child's confidence into the floor which to me is not being a good effective teacher.

The video was clearly edited to show nothing but the bad side of the instructor, '20 errors'.. did anyone think to edit the good comments he made into a video?
I wonder what would have happened if one of the pupils turned and laughed at him? an insult is only an insult if seen as one, laugh at it, and he looks the type to be thrown by the reaction he wasn't expecting.
An instructor who throws more bad than good comments at you, is clearly either not achieving your goal - to improve your riding - or you just don't gel, and he's not the right person to teach you.
I'd like to see the full video before I could judge him, but do admit, he should watch what he's saying.

I thought that he was pretty funny. That kind of teaching would work for me. At least i would remember my errors!

I like to know my errors but I would want to remember what I got right. I guess it is how it is said.
I was told I ride better bit less, turn that around to you ride awful in a bit and ask yourself which comment you would learn more from. They both say the same thing. My riding IS crap with the bit.

The rest of the video could have had lots of praise, but the fact the insults have stuck with the person says a lot to me.

OK, so he is picking up on errors, but giving no helpful instruction at all. Regardless of who he is or isn't, his teaching methods are not something I would class as effective.

If he spoke to me like that, I would speak back to him in the same manner, and it would probably begin with F and end in F.

I would struggle not to laugh at his comments - and not know whether he was serious or not, so no, that kind of teaching wouldn't work for me. Like Mystikal says, he reminded me of one of those tv chefs that do it for the camera - really hamming it up! I've nothing against group lessons but as a child that would have knocked my confidence. I had a particularly horrible college tutor who loved to shout the odds at us in class - and belittle. Have to say tho she taught me one of my fav subjects, I hated her classes. She used every opportunity to make comments that at 18 years old I didn't know how to take.
Sorry, gone off topic a bit there! I personally wouldn't be having another lesson with him.

Having coached at a reasonable level in an other sport in another lifetime the most important thing i learned was the ability to read peoples character if you cant do this you will fail a lot of people. Some people respond to a bit of a tongue lashing and some people respond to a more gentle approach. The point is to read your group sort out the hardy types and gentle types and use there individuality to inspire confidence. Learning anything must be rewarding to the coach and the group and the individual in the group, all should come away having learned something. Keep it light simple inject a bit of humour and in my humble experience people will enjoy it. We are not going to be riding at Badminton so it is all about fun and instilling confidence to try new skills so why accept someone who is making you feel bad or demotivated. Those who are naturally gifted will go on to greater things probably in a more advanced group with people of a similar character. Just a long drawn out diatribe for saying we are all very different and should expect to be treated with respect.

Well said!

Yes edited so maybe we have missed out on his encouraging positive comments and banter lol but still agree its a very individual thing on the type of instructor and what works for you.

I had one guy that scared me so much i jumped on having fell off landing on one foot and he made me ride on though in pure agony with a fat ankle then had to stop befre passed out from the pain and ended up in A&E. My conf jumping was in tatters for along time til I found a RI who did not shout and swear and bully and was back competing soon after :wink:

newrider.com