How much hay and feed should he be getting?

*Goldfish*

Oct 31, 2008
A 14hh haflinger. Turned out from 7am till about 3pm, on sparse grazing. In from 3pm till 7am. In very lighht work :rolleyes:

I feed hifi lite and hay, how much of each would you be giving him??

Feed him by eye. If he starts to look porky lay off the bucket, just hay. If he's dropping a bit of weight up his hay and add some sugar beet or similar.

You can have two identically bred horses whose nutritional needs will be totally different, I am wary of feeding by weight.

I would feed ad-lib hay - he should have free access to it. If you have to restrict it (if he's a fatty) then feed it in a net so he eats less per hour, but still eats for most of the day. This is better than him stuffing his face and then having nothing for a few hours etc.

Instead of feeding the hifi, I would get him a feed balancer such as Bailey's LoCal. At the minute he will not be getting all the nutrients etc that he needs from hay and hifi alone. :)

Ditto to comments above. Depends entirely on individual horse. If easy keeper and there is some grazing (even if only a little) then I'd say 2 or 3 slices of hay overnight. Just one/one & half scoops in two feeds morning and night and go from there. As midnight ashes says, maybe add something more substantial, although I'd go for your bogstandard ponynuts or basic fibre mix. Then build up depending on how he goes! xx

newrider.com