how much hay

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
Just wondering out of interest how much hay do you like to stock up on to last you over the winter..

with hay how it is and prices set to rise november time..

i have just ordered 3 large bales n have 20 small, but i will be ordering another 2 large at least..

i have a tb and a shetland and due to how little grass there is atm they r being fed hay in the field.

I've got approc 78 bales and one large bale.

I have good grazing and they live out at the mo. I have a Cob and a shettie so hoping that will see me through the majority of the winter.

I'm going to cut back significantly this year, last year I panicked slightly and calculated enough hay to last Roxy November - March on half a bale a day (being worst case scenario of she was ill/injured on box rest). I ordered 70 bales and used about 10 in the end as she is rarely in!

I think this year I will order about 30 which should be plenty enough. I try to keep her out as much as possible but if everybody else brings theirs in then I will too to avoid her getting stressed out alone and calling for her field buddies all night.

Because I never knew which way the weather was going to go and worried we'd be cut off like the previous winter, I stocked up in November, and filled the hay store and a spare stable. I "think" we had a running stock of about 50 bales all the time, I just kept topping up. Same with straw and Nedz Bedz.

Iv got 20 small hay and now have 3 big being delivered. i am thinking of getting another 2 big and then hopefully a few more small bales as i am using atm aswell.

im hoping this is going to last me a decent while. but my neddies do know how to put it away. :)

newrider.com