How much is a comfortable weight loss for a horse per week ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I weigh taped my horse again and bearing in mind he's nekkid but with enough of a coat for protection, on full turnout. He has lost weight - woohoo ! But I just want to be reassured it isn't to much in a week :unsure:

Ah now this depends. With Joy she can vary up to 3 sections of the weight tape in one week but then that's if she's escaped into the long grass over night so most of thats is grass belly. I'm happy with a drop of 1 section on the weight tape per week when she's within 30kg of where I want her. If she's more than that I'm happy with a swifter loss. So this week it's gone from the bottom end of 455kg to the bottom end of 447kg which is only 8kg above where I'd like her to be.

I guess the thing is to be guided be him and his behaviour and to feel his armpits to make sure he's not frozen.

That's reassuring then as he lost 15kg - tonight I rechecked him and his armpits are nice and toasty so he's not cold.

Silver lost 130kg in 2.5-3 months - yes not ideal - she was poorly - BUT it didn't adversely affect her (and I have now more or less managed to maintain her weight at a good weight :dance::D)

newrider.com