how much is a tendon scan?

lucysj

Jan 31, 2008
Hi everyone im new here, one of my horses damaged its tendon sheath in may last year and after treatment etc, the vet said to have 6months off and that a tendon scan would be a good idea, so 6 months has passed and im thinking about having a scan done, the horse hasnt been lame, leg isnt hot or swollen but it is larger than the other leg. So how much roughly will a tendon scan cost??? Thanks Lucy X

The leg will always be bigger after a tendon injury, the vet may not even bother with a scan if horse is sound and there is no heat. A horse at my last yard was planning on having one done after 6 months but the vet said there was no point as it would cost around £70. Just get the vet to come out and have a look and ring the scanner with them, just incase.

Libby had tendon scans this year after her injury.
£11o each (on insurance!) ... She had 2 (on each leg). Once right after the injury as suspected serious tear (thank god there was none!) and one 3 months later ...

the last time i had a scan it was £105 , just over 12 months ago

i'd definately say its worth doing as you know the degree of damage & can take precautions as approp ,

in my case my horse had an infection in his leg , originally thought he'd done a tendon , but decided to scan anyway to make sure that the infection hadn't gone into the tendon , all was clear but was very pleased i spent the money as it then gave me confidence i was taking the right course of action & not bringing him back into work way too soon

My mare is still having scans for her torn tendon. 1st scan cost me £40 I think. Got at least another 2 to come and a trip to a physio's yard for 5 week to try and get it better.

Thanks for all your replies, i spoke to the vet yesterday and im going to take her for him to have a look at.

newrider.com