How much longer??!!!

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of overdue mares. Mine was due May 1st!
Vet says not to worry, they can go up to six weeks over no problem!!
If she gets any wider she won't fit through the stable door.
Started bagging up 3 days ago, not waxing up yet but all the muscle in her hindquarters is soggy so fingers crossed.
I don't know who'll be more relieved when it gets here, her or me...

Some of them can really go well over. A friend of mine has just had her mare go 359 days. Warmbloods are notorious for going longer than some of the other breeds. Worst I've heard of this year was 366 days (I would be a basket case by then!)

Hiya Chev,
Aww I do sympathise...we choose the stallion , send them away, spend months worrying , and then there late foaling.
She sounds like shes on her way tho :) .
Let us know what she has huh !! post a pic ??
I remember being told when one of our mares was 25 days late.....' it will come when its cooked ' LOL !!
It did 3.30pm on a sunday afternoon, in the middle of waterlogged field . I had to deliver it too coz the mare was in too much of a rush, and that was after soo many sleepless nights mare-staring at a flippin foal cam !!!!!!
Good luck Chev

Ally :D

Cooked?! LOL! It'll be flippin' burnt by now!
I wouldn't mind but she was "raped" by a neighbour's colt, I spent months talking myself into wanting this foal, and now it's keeping me up nights waiting!
Lgd, dunno about "would be a basket case", feels like I'm already there!
Spent the afternoon with her and she looks a lot less bothered than me. I know she's going to pop it out the minute I turn my back so why am I worrying?!

I can sympathise with them waiting until you turn your back - had one do that to me some years ago BIG TIME. Checked pony mare at 10.30pm - standing in corner looking dopey and a bit uncomfortable, crawls back into the bar (yes, we had the luxury of a bar on site at our old yard - made night foalings a very happy occasion), owner walks in at 10.45pm and says ring Lynne (manager) 'cos she's had the foal! Talk about sneaky, she must have dropped it as I went round the corner 'cos she'd started cleaning him up and he was starting to make attempts to get to his feet.

Sounds right! We had a little coloured pony mare do that. She was out in the fields, it was about 6 in the evening and she wasn't due for another 16 days. We had a quick look in at her, went up the road to chat with some friends, came back down to her 20 minutes later and she'd had it! We watched them for an hour and this filly still hadn't fed, in the end I had to go and hold her up to feed, she was just too small and tired to stand to suckle. Next morning she was galloping round like a rocket!

Cerys still just stands looking at me with that really p***** off look mares get when they're fed up of being checked on. I'm so used to looking in and seeing no foal now I'll probably faint with shock when it does arrive.

newrider.com