How much panicking would you do?

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
4BCB57E2-EB2B-4785-A880-E678D93CED9C.jpeg

He is sound although this is just watching him walk and gallop in field rather than trotting up. Yesterday there was no definition in the tedony bit. Not sore to poke or prod. Very slight heat. I have been putting his ice vibe boots on.

Question is do I ring vet tomorrow or continue icing his leg until Monday?

And yes I know his hoof is broken. Vet has seen and it correlates to when he was so unwell and hoping it will grow out.

I don't panic, I call the vet. Whatever it is it's getting worse so I wouldn't wait until Monday.

In that case I'd do a proper trot up on a hard level surface and see how sound he is, also how he turns in both directions. If he's sound and it's improving and the heat is reducing I'd leave until Monday, but otherwise I'd get the vet.

I'd be calling the vet tomorrow - most vets will triage over the phone and offer advice, so nothing to lose IMHO.

Hope he gets better soon.

As I learnt recently soundness on firm surfaces with very slight heat and swelling can still be hiding significant injury. I'd call the vet and see what they think, I'd imagine they will say it can wait until Monday but they might want movement limited.

Agree with the others. Speak to your vet over the phone, email them these photos showing the swelling and the change over the two days. If possible, get a video of trot up on hard ground and send that too. My vet is happy to do this sort of assessment free of charge and would let me know if they thought I needed a visit, or would recommend a treatment plan for the weekend and re assess on Monday.

I would trot up on the hard, and do a little lunge at walk and trot on the hard. If you see nothing at all I would rest and ice until Monday, but if there is even a slight hint of anything awry I would be straight on to the vet today.

Jess had similar a couple of years ago, slight puffyness between the tendons, sound in the field/on the straight. I spoke to my vet on the Friday who said leave if you're happy but I ended up calling her at 6am on a Saturday and taking her in to be seen at 9.30 that morning as my gut was just nagging at me, turned out she'd oiked her suspensory. Only the lunge on the hard showed any lameness and that was subtle and only on one rein (sore leg outside).

Reactions: carthorse
Vet been. She is not sure what is going on. Sound trotting up, ever so very slightly off after flexion. Swelling dosnt really equate to anything in particular so she is thinking it is a trauma. Possibly a kick. She didn’t think ligament as it would be the ligament pulling the toe forward and there is no issue there. He has Danilon and antibiotics for 5 days and reassess.

If still swollen he will be xrayed. If it gets worse he will be xrayed. Hopefully it will gradually improve and we will never quite know what. She said she wasn’t worried enough to go get X-ray machine now/get him in trailer and to the vets so that’s good.

However she commented how lovely he was and how easy to handle and well behaved he is and it makes a nice change 😍

I have just offended him! We are ice vibing. So I am sat at stable door. Someone left me chocolate so thought I would have that. He has had his pear. Of course he can hear a sweetie wrapper a mile away. “Oohhh gimmie “ “you don’t like chocolate “ “I do. Gimmie!” “No you don’t” “give give give”. So I gave him a bit. Oh good grief are you trying to poison me? Very dramatically spits out (perfectly good and I could have eaten) the chocolate. Followed by much face making. “Told you!” “Hate you!” And he went back to stuffing hay in.

I love your horse... He gives new meaning to Drama Queen
Haha you are right!

Todays drama is “I’m all on my ooowwwwnnn” and it’s raining “I must come in right NOW”. Yes his buddy is away but he still has buddies either side. And it is very light rain and he has a rug on.

So got him in and made a very small amount of fast fiber with his Danilon. Sniffs suspiciously. “Nope there is something in this” “it’s just your normal food” “nope, you are hovering, I don’t normally get feed now therefore you are trying to poison me”. So I took it out and added more FF and gave it back to him “ooohhh food, yummy!”

newrider.com