How much to pay for field

nurse9

Feb 16, 2011
london
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. I am thinking of taking on two stables in a a paddock with sole use of another field not more than an acre and half I would guess! The land owner wants 500pcm for this it has use of water, secure tack room but that's all...
I want to offer 400pcm.
The land is part of a diy livery yard but I would be self sufficient, what do people think? It is situated in SE London/Kent border so land is premium. There is use of a small school and good off road hacking.
Comments please :biggrin:

I am in Surrey and pay £100 pm for 2 horses on 4 acres with no facilities at all, no water or power, and I have had to install my own shelter.

£400 sounds better than £500 to me!

Omg thank goodness i dont live near you or id be robbing banks :tongue:

I pay £50 per month for 5 acres it's watered but i have to put up my own shelter & i bought a secure container for all the equipment/feed, land is flat and dry enough to ride on so i can set up a course of jumps & hacking is quite good 2, very near the beach :biggrin:

I let a couple of friends graze their horses 2 so make a bit of extra cast to help me pay field rent!!

Thanks for all replies I was sure it was steep but I am not sure on how to get started with finding my own little bit of land for my boy. Any advice??:smile:

Finding Acrage

Hi,

That's really a very steep monthly rent even at £400. Nuff said! Have you thought of advertising to see if anyone else, and I'd bet there is, wants to share in the cost of a field etc? BUT ensure you both enter into seperate agreements with the land owner. You don't want to be hit with their rent if for some reason they pull out later.

There must be oodles of places you could advertise for free?

Obviously it depends on what else you can get in the area as to whether its worth it. Also worth pricing up how money, time and effort it would take to have yours in here in comparison to a standard livery type situation and work if it's worth it to you.

There are some very cheap areas in the uk and neither of us is in on of them!

I personally would pay up to the price of DIY + bedding to have 24/7/365 turnout, convenience, complete control and not have to share with others but then grazing land round here is rare as hens teeth so is not the traditional cheap option that it is in the rest of the country.

I pay £195 for 3 horses, it was £140 for 2. For that I get a barn with stables and large storage area, fields - I think there is about 12 acres now, but basically unlimited, resting one field and another one taped. Running tap water, muck taken away, and biggest thing is support and management. Land owner does things like swap my battery when it dies, look after them when I am away (I do theirs when they are) and help move electric fence. Personally I think it is more than worth it. I am up north though. Not sure I could afford £400 for less!

If you look at it another way, it's actually a small stable yard with grazing and facilities so will be more than field livery anyway. I would say offer £400 though the worst he can say is NO!

I pay £7 a week per horse ( i have two) for around 3 acres and water supply. I put a shed up as a tack rooms/feed store myself. SO around £60 a month.

Wow! What variety of prices! Getting extremely jealous of many of you guys think I may have to move to the north of england:biggrin:
Anyway had run in with stupid YM today as he was telling me that adjoining fields wouldnt be allocated with the stable field as they were for the main stabled horses!! (they are close to the main yard which has 12 DIY stables)[/] He was offering fields apart from the stable field as he was not prepared to walk down to the main fields in the winter to turn out the stabled horses:stomp: it's a 2 minute round trip. Stubborn man. Anyway have been asking around and unless the land owner comes up with a really good offer there are plenty of other options.:smug:
All in all I really want my own set up so no yard politics/bitchiness but I will only it for the right price.
Joyscarer thank goodness someone else can empathise with my situation:cry:

newrider.com