How much weight can a 14.2hh carry?

BeachRiding

Aug 26, 2004
USA
Just curious.:) I have been offered a pony to ride as a weight loss goal. Just wondering what weight I would have to get down to to be able to ride the pony? Also wondering if I am too tall, being almost 5'3 3/4. I have several months to lose the weight, and am very dedicated, just wondering if its even probable with my height and what weight I would have to get down to.:)

also any pics of someone of my height riding a 14.2hh? Shortest I have ever ridden was 14.3hh, she carried me fine a few months back ( I was thinner) but thinking a pony will be different.

Thanks in advance!:) I was very delighted to get this offer.

ETA- this is a Quarter horse.

Last edited:
Just curious.:) I have been offered a pony to ride as a weight loss goal. Just wondering what weight I would have to get down to to be able to ride the pony? Also wondering if I am too tall, being almost 5'3 3/4. I have several months to lose the weight, and am very dedicated, just wondering if its even probable with my height and what weight I would have to get down to.:)

also any pics of someone of my height riding a 14.2hh? Shortest I have ever ridden was 14.3hh, she carried me fine a few months back ( I was thinner) but thinking a pony will be different.

Thanks in advance!:) I was very delighted to get this offer.

ETA- this is a Quarter horse.
Err... nevermind, I talked with another friend and she thinks I will look/be too big for said pony even if I lose tons of weight. supposedly pony is really thin boned, not what I invisioned. I was thinking of some thick boned stout Quater horse. :eek:

Now I need to find another weight loss goal oriented with horses.

This thread may be deleted. Ooh unless someone wants to show me pictures of them on their ponies. I would love some pictures. I am bad at guessing horses heights. So would be interesting.

Last edited:
Hi
Height & weight very much depends on the build of the pony. A stocky native will carry a farmer all day and come back tomorrow. A fine leggy type would struggle with anything more than a light teenager. 5 ft 3 I would not have thought height would be an issue though.

There ya go willielove.... guess the height of my mare :D

2007_0311_early_spring_walk_0006.jpg
Err... Uhm... Err... 14.1hh?? How tall are you?

Logic is 14.2 and I'm 5 foot 6, weighing between 13 and 13½ stone depending on how many toblerone bars I've been eating :eek:

Logic can happily carry me for about 4 hours on a hack and still have a good gallop!!!

R0010622.jpg

I wouldn't want anyone heavier than me on her though.

Height wise that would be fine - I am 5.4ft and people have been saying that I could start looking for something about that size because of my small frame. You dont, however, say how heavy you are? Is the pony quite chucky or not?

I'm 5ft6 and between 118-128lbs (for you american ladies) depending on the day of the week ;) Anyway, I have a 13.2/3hh NF gelding, hes a native, but not stocky and I'll be honest I was starting to worry that my weight was climbing and he was struggling.
Yesterday I went out with my mate on her TB, he had a little canter up a hill and Milo was flat out galloping with me sat back trying to stop, so I don't think he struggled too much. Height wise you should have no problems, I've ridden very twiggy 14.2hh-ers and apart from the fact she had a fantastic ability to jump sideways which is a bit scary when you're top heavy we were fine.

This is a pic of me on Milo the other week. My stirrups are a bit shorter than usual as we were jumping, but you get the idea

DSC_2123.jpg

im 5'2 and weight just over 8 stone :eek:
and ride a 14.2/3
i never want to get tall, cause i always want to ride my ponio!

im pretty sure everyone has seen piks of me on her, but heres another:

P9150114.jpg

not a great pik, as she was bombing off with me at the time, but its unseen on here, and shows my height on her.

At nearly 5ft8 and legs right up to my a**e I feel silly on anything smaller than 15hh depending on its built. My welsh D looked more like a welsh B when I was on board!! If the horse has a deep wide barrel I can get away with 15hh but I need 16hh for slender bodies to feel like I have something between my legs :rolleyes:

Ooh, and I weigh about 9.5stone so I wouldn't be bothered about smaller ponies carrying me, I rode a 12.2 no probs, just had to havve jockey stirrups to get my feet out the way of his leg movement :p

hey

well you don't say how much you way at the moment, but i am 5ft3-5ft4 and way between 11-12stone and pin carries me absolutely fine, last season we hunted and everything and she had no problem at all(was at the front all the time). and pin isn't really hugely built and is 23.

heres a piccy for you to look at
Loopy_las

And just to prove she has no prob carrying me
Loopy_las

this was a 12mile fun ride.

loz an pinx

We've got couple of 14.2hh TB crosses as Polo ponies and MEN play them! Not scrawny little boys but fully grown men. Ponies are fine with the weight and play the same as any of the bigger horses, only one is now saved for just kids but that is because she is now 35 years old and has deserved a bit easier life.. ;)

Many smaller ponies are fine with adult riders, and if the pony is a Quarter horse, they are usually built really strong and should be able to carry you especially if you aim to lose weight before you start riding. So go take a look how spindly legged the pony is before you make up your mind, if otherwise the deal sounds interesting! :)

Nina x

I am 5'5" and about 9.5 stone and I have a 14.3 welsh x tb and a 14.2 arab. i look fine on both of those - I also ride smaller ponies at work. I would go and see the pony first, we have a 14.2hh quarter horse at work and although he is not chunky, someone up to about 5'6'' would probably look fine on him.

krusty1986_28752541.jpg

this is me on willie my stirrups are short as i was jumping him when i was trying him out. im 5ft 6 and he is fine for me i dont want anything bigger though as i had an accident on a bigger horse so it put me off i like my ponies!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

I'm 5'3" and around 120-125 lbs. Used to ride my instructor's 14.2 (delicate boned) Arab with no problems. Never felt like I was too tall or heavy for him. Not even marginally.

5ft 3... 14.2hh... too tall... are you being serious???

I'm 5ft 8 and I had quite a fine 12.2hh welsh pony to ride when I was 16, we had slight issues with jumping but that was mainly as I used to jump with mega long stirups, honestly all this heightist stuff makes me giggle (yes despite the fact I lease a 16.1hh I would much rather have a 14.2hh!!)

newrider.com