How much weight can a horse carry?

Penny+wigwam

Penny
Feb 9, 2007
West Sussex
I was just wondering my friend is considering buying a 13.2 pony which is up for sale that was previously hers from her childhood and she has now re-found it, however she weighs about 8.5 Stone and is 5.2ft tall i;m not sure what the pony's weight is but he is a stanard looking little pony, not huge but not small either, and i was wondering if she wont be a bit big for it now, plus he's now 15years old, she had him 10 years ago when he was five and she had to sell him as her dads company went bankrupt. Its difficult because he was a lovely little pony but i just feel she might be a bit heavy.

yes that would be fine
a 12hh pony can carry up to 9 stone
so a 13hh could carry up to 10 stone

it depends on the build - but it'd need to be a really weedy and fine 13.2 pony to to be up to that weight. i'm that height and heavier, and i cheerfully ride down to about 12hh.

it varies quite a lot - a fit, fully grown and well built native pony,for instance, can carry up to a stone per hand. not the finer ones, but a sturdy new forest can, and the welsh C/D or highlands can do that easily.

12hh pony can carry up to 9 stone
so a 13hh could carry up to 10 stone

Not nesseasrily. I'm just over 10st and I certainly wouldd't even consider riding some 13hh ponys due to thier build.

A rough and easy guide is they can easily (which is the important part, they could carry more) about a 5-6th of their own bodyweight(if fit and tack fits well), which includes riders riding weight, their clothes and their tack.

Ok i am speakin on average here!
The bay pony is 12.2hh and could carry up to 9 stone easily
The grey is 13.2hh and could carry up to 10 stone easily.

Photo-0012.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

I certainly wouldn't be getting on that grey 13.2 and he definintly wouldn't find me easy to carry. He's far too fine.

I did however used to ride a well-build 13.2 Dales pony who had not trouble at all carrying me.

i'm over 10 stone. my 13.1hh new forest had no problem with me and i've also ridden 13.2hh anglo arabs and 13hh highlands with no issues at all. i would draw the line at a light boned TB type show pony though, but anything with native blood should be fine.

My daughter and I ride our stocky 13.2 welsh C who is 21 years old, we both weight just under 8 1/2 stone and are about 5'4".

newrider.com