How much weight can a pony pull?

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
The pony in question is a stocky 12.2hh gelding who carries small adult on his back with ease. If he was in harness how much weight would it be reasonable to expect him to pull? Would he be limited to two adults in a small vehicle or would he cope with a bigger vehicle with a family in it? Kids in said family are pretty titchy.

What kind of harness would be best suited for pulling more weight - am I right in thinking a full collar would be better? He's a very willing pony but takes time to gain confidence and can be pretty bolshy, so while he's ok for kids to ride on the lead, he's not a children's pony, and we were hoping to be able to do some driving with him. What kind of vehicles would be available for a pony of that size?

Finally, would we just be better off looking at bigger ponies/cobs and a governess cart?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Just to give you an idea. This is what my shetlands can pull easily. These are all working on the assumption of competition fit ponies. All these drives are in Northumberland therefore think very hilly :D

Single pony (9.3hh) can pull two adults and fairly light vehicle round a driving trial can win it against horses (no extra time allowance). The weight of the adults would equal about 19 stone (two approx nine and a half stone adults) then the vehicle weight on top of that.

Single pony (9.3hh) can pull two adults (9.5 stone and 14.5 stone) with same vehicle round the lanes at trot for 14 miles or more easily without a break.

Pair of ponies (9.3hh) can pull the two 9.5 stone adults for 25 miles all at trot with only one half-hour break. With a fairly lightweight marathon vehicle.

Pair of ponies (9.3hh) can pull four people (all fairly light, approx. 1 x 10 stone 2 x 9.5 stone, 1 x 8.5stone) plus the marathon vehicle at trot for approx 10 miles (I'm sure they would be fine for further but have never tried).

Your pony sounds ideal....I wouldn't worry about anything bigger so long as he is fit enough for the distance you want him to do and the vehicle is suitable he should pull the family fine. Especially as the kids are little. I would get out there and have fun....and remember to wear hats just as you would for riding, if you don't ..at least put them on the kids.

If you are looking at governess carts - remember they are the most unsafe carriage available. If anything happens they are the only carriage which you can't bail out of so do bear that in mind. If you do look at a cob then a waggonette makes a nice safe alternative to a governess cart.

There are loads of vehicles available for a 12.2hh. It really depends on your finances and preferences. I would suggest looking for something pretty low and stable and light-weight. They can range from little wagonettes to exercise vehicles to marathon vehicles to gigs...you name it you can buy it...

Remember the vehicle weighs lighter once it is rolling than it weighs literally. A vehicle with carriage wheels (metal/wood) is heavier but will roll better on the road and so pull lighter than one with motorbike bike tyres. The bigger the wheels the easier the vehicle rolls - eg a high gig will pull lighter than a low exercise vehicle...but a low vehicle will be more stable and secure. A two-wheeler is more stable than a four wheeler (despite appearances!)

As for harness.....well mine all wear breastcollars for convenience (I can chop and change harnesses and it doesn't matter if they lose/gain weight). If the vehicle has a no swingle-tree then he must wear a full collar as a breast collar could rub badly. There is also the French Collar - a cross between a full collar and breast collar, quite popular in driving trials at the moment.

Anway I hope that is readable as I am rambling...as you can tell it is a big subject but I hope this helps a bit. Feel free to pm me.

You could get a really nice 4 seater pony vehicle which would take two adults and two kiddies. A 12.2hh should have no bother on regular 10 mile outings so long as you are not at the bottom of Porlock Hill!

I don't like governess cars, you cannot get out in an emergency and are only suitable for really, really dependable old school masters. I use a French collar with Pants in his single harness. It is much better than a breat harness, he loves it. Shetland have such limited space in the chest/gullet department. A full collar too takes up the whole neck before you know it! The French one seems to fit the bill nicely.

If you join the BHS the year book is filled with adverts for folk who will custom build EXACTLY what you want. www.carriage-driving.com have a lot of ads. too for second hand harness and vehicles.

Esther has just about summed up the pros and cons of pneumatic and hard rubber tyres, metal shod ones make such a noise you cannot hear yourself think! Big wheels and small ones. A 2 wheel dog cart or rally car with 4 seats and BIG wheels would be a good compromise. But someone has to sit backwards!

Brilliant, cheers folks. One last question - he's been long reined out on roads with no real problem, wearing an open bridle. Does he really need blinkers or could I try training him in an open bridle? He's only got one eye, is completely blind on his off side and I'm not convinced that reducing his vision further is such a clever idea. He seems less bothered about things behind him if he can see them - if his vision is obstructed, he's more likely to worry.

Wally, the idea of someone sitting backwards seems pretty good to me - at least I'd know if a child bailed out!

I have driven mine without blinkers. Personally I would agree and would be inclined not to limit his already restricted vision any further. I don't know what Wally thinks?

Just to second Wally - a nice little four-wheeler or dog cart would be great for what you want. His height should not be a problem - there are loads of 12.2hhs out there doing driving trials, private driving etc etc so there is plenty of choice. I got a local carriage builder to build my shetland vehicles exactly to my specifications and they have been great...plus they were cheaper than the off-the-peg versions. I just got loads of catalogues etc and the carriage builder and I put our heads together and pinched all the best bits from each design:D

Just to give you an idea of the kind of off-the-peg new vehicle that is available try
http://fp.bellcrown.f9.co.uk/

I wouldn't necessarily encourage you to leap straight in and get a Bellcrown but it gives you an idea of the typical vehicle (non-traditional) being produced at the moment.

If he's only got one eye I'd be inclined to drive him in an open bridle from day one. NEVER use blinkers then he won't ever know what he's missing and as you say, to reduce what little of his sight he has left down to hardly anything would be dodgy.

Any judge in a show would understand and if you have started him from day one in an open bridle you should find out how he's going to take to it.

In Norway, Fjords are always driven in an open bridle. It does not occur to the Icelanders to spend extra money on a special bridle just to drive in when the one they ride in will do the same job. Haflingers are traditionally driven in an open bridle. It is an English obsession to have winkers on everything.

Maybe it stemms to from BIG stately homes - having to be seen with a pair of highly bred horses pulling your phaeton - A scatty hot blood is more in need of winkers than a hairy pony. Since most equestrian traditions go back to the "Big Houses" it is maybe why we are so obsessed with winkers.

My first pony was 12hh and we tore up and around the downs. Groom medium weight, me a fatty. We did bail out when the hill became obviously too much. He also did driving trials with great gusto. He was great, and has gone on to carting a family of four around.
Look around for a suitable cart, there are heaps on the market.
A four wheeler is easier for carrying passengers, also more manouverable(sp).
I would recommend a French collar(brollar), my nag really works into hers, and they distribute the weight better than a breast collar. Have fun. L

newrider.com