How much weight can an Arabian carry?

LMS

Sep 14, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I understand there has been some rolling of the eyes on topics such as this one but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm also very aware of the ratio used to determine how much weight an average horse can carry.

But having said that; there are some horses that can carry more weight. Such as the icelandic (as someone posted on Miamad's thread) as well as some other native breeds.

I've also heard that Arabians can also carry a heavier load. I understand that they are very well designed for long distance work (Ex endurance riding).

But can they really cary a heavier load?

So here goes: my mare Ariel is 14:2hh, weighs approx 893lbs and is a QH/Arab. She has a nice broad back and for a 20yr old that has not been in serious work for a decade; her back is in good shape as are her legs (good bone).

I'm planning on bringing her back slowly (of course) for myself and for teaching. Which brings me to why I'm asking my question.

A good friend of mine has been hinting for some time that she'd like to learn how to ride & come along with me on rides. At my heaviest, I refused to ride some of my horses as I thought of myself as too heavy and even though I'm at an intermediate level, I knew my weight would throw off one of my green horse's balance.

Now, I really like my friend but I think that she's too heavy for my horses. I've tried explaining to her, delicately, that I was concerned about her weight. She weighs just under the 200lbs mark. I was also taking into concideration about her being a total beginner (so lack of self carriage & balance)
And until I can sufficiently build up Ariel's back & topline, I was not letting anyone heavier than me ride her. I now weigh 137lbs and am aiming for my original weight: 107lbs. I was 155lbs approx. when I first bought Ariel.

So what has been your experience? Should I just burst her bubble & say sorry no can do? I know that it would be next to impossible for her to shed some pounds. Or in due time would Ariel be able to safely carry my friend?

Thanks

No, I wouldn't let her ride. 200lb is over 14st. And she's a beginnner, so her riding weight is at least 10% more, making her 15st+. Plus over a 1st (14lb) of tack, means the pony is carrying over 16st (about 230lb). I wouldn't put that on an arab, regardless of how young or fit they are.

Now, if you're friend is able to learn to ride on another horse AND you get Ariel fit, with good back muscles, then I would allow her to ride, slowly building up the time.

But, no, I wouldn't let your friend ride as it is, regardless of how nice she is. ;) Maybe you could tactfully say that Ariel is getting on a bit now, and has had a sore back in the past (little white lie ;)) and the vet has said she should be carrying no more than 12 or 13st (170-180lb) maximum.

no i wouldnt let her ride. Whilst a young and fit arab can carry that weight an older unfit arab should not even be asked to think about it.
my 24 year old welsh b used to be quite capabe of lugging my weight around but now that he is older his back muscles have weakend and he cant do it.

I'm not letting anyone get on Ariel until I feel that she is physicaly fit. I'm a real stickler for that!

But, yes I think I may tell a little white lie like Pink's suggested: that Ariel is getting on yadda yadda yadda...

But all in all: is it true that Arabians can carry more weight?

I have to agree with the others truthfully and being a bigger person I would not put that weight on an unfit horse of that age, especially as a beginner so for now I wouldent let her ride her.

Once she is fit and muscled to be honest as a beginner I would still be careful, as she is not a young horse.

LMS I have an Arab and she is 20 this year, and like your situation the OH wanted to learn on her. Now as he plays rugby, weighs about 17st of bone and muscle theres no way on this earth or in the next world I would let him on my baby! He accepted that he is too heavy for her and that if explained properly your friend will see this too. The little white lie is the best and you can phrase it very delicately, and your not really telling a lie, your concern is for your horse and nothing more than that. If your friend is truly a friend then she will understand what is being said to her.

Thank you very much for putting my mind at ease guys.

If she were nothing more than a potential client; I would gently decline but being that she is a good friend and absolutely dotes on my mares...

As well I am very strict & protective of my horses (well actually any horse's wellfare). My husband was trying to convince me to make an exception but my experience & training told me :"not a chance".

But before I turn someone down, I really want to make certain I am able to backup my claim.

I kept putting her off by saying that Ariel was just not fit enough to carry her at this point. I had her convinced that it wouldn't happen until someone said that they'd heard that Arabians could indeed carry a heavier load.

And like I said: I want my facts straight before I make a claim!

Last edited:
Ugh, I wished there wasn't so many people to please, or should I say: "to not upset".

I confered with a peer, that I ask for advice once in a while, as she worked with a horse almost identical to mine. She confirmed what I knew about the rider weight ratio formula where you take the breed, age, weight, level of training & fitness, temperament and so on then adjust it to the rider's specs (age, weight, height, fitness, balance, ability...)

She suggested that the weight limit in this situation should be 150lbs once the mare is in good enough shape to handle a novice but then again that was an estimate without having seen the horse.

Had a long talk with OH (who's the one putting me on a guilt trip for giving excuses to say no) and discussed my thoughts on the subject & backed it up with what you've all said (which BTW were the same). Tomorrow, I'll let him know what my peer had to say to further support my decision (it's presently 12:45am & he's asleep).

I will let her down (again) but will just explain that it's for Ariel's wellfare & I have to accomodate her aging body. I know she'll harp on it for a long time but I guess I'll just have to grin & bare it.

The reason that I'm having such a hard time with a blatantly simple scenario is that years ago (before Ariel & Heidi) on 2 separate occasions with different horses, I had been asked by family members (in laws) to "share" my horses.

I refused, telling them that these horses were competition horses & could only be ridden by intermediate or more advanced riders as they were nervous with novices and would most probably hurt them. (And also for the fact that in the past, with other horses, my parents would let other people borrow my horses and they would come back hours later all frazzled, sweaty & with lumps & bumps.)

Well, from that moment on I was chastized regularly for being a selfish b*tch. And anytime the subject of horses would come up; my name would be hissed. Because according to others: I obviously cared more about the "stupid, stinky beasts" than humans.

Sooooo, here we go again! I look out for my horses & I'm being chastized again:( :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

I knew an Arab, who could easily carry 15 stone on 100 mile endurance rides, but he had been brought up slowly to do it, he was not an old horse, he was never out of work for long peroids and his rider was fit, and well balanced.

The horse and rider combination you describe is not one I'd be willing to entertain,

LMS you are not being selfish and certainly not bitchy! Any of us put in the same situation (and I guess thats most of us at one time or another) would react andthink it over in exactly the same manner. If those 'friends' think so little of your horses and the way you care forthem then maybe (just maybe) its time for a new set of friends, and tell the OH when the day comes he has a horse then he will feel exactly as you do!

Thanks Wally: my thoughts exactly! If Ariel had been in full action at the stable where I purchased her, I'd have felt more confident about the weight issue but honestly she'd been a lawn ornament for 8yrs and I've had her for 2 yrs now and she's been on pasture rest until her guttural pouch mycosis got sorted out.
I'm planning on bringing her back into action over the summer months, so I gather she should be fit enough by the Fall. But I'm loosing weight, so by the time she'll be fit, she'll be used to having a lightweight rider on her back. As it is now, I've shed at least 25lbs since I first rode her.
So the chances of her ever adapting to a heavier rider than me will be slim.

As far as reconsidering who my friends are, that's not really the case here: it's who my in-laws are! As nice as they are, they are completely uneducated in the area of horses. They have an aunt who's heavily into horses (so much at one point that she alienated her daughters & husband as well as the rest of the family). So, already I was set up to be critisized about my involvement with horses.

And like I mentioned: my friend had accepted no for an answer until someone questioned my explanations and was successful at convincing all these unknowledgable horse people and OH started to pressure me.

The day my OH gets on a horse will be the day that there is world peace!;) Every time I'm in the market for a new horse, I look at horses that he could ride and it's always a no go. Oh well...

Last edited:
All my other non-horsey friends are taller & heavier than I am, so no worries about them ever asking for a "free ride" but they all think that my horses are just pets & I take them too seriously.

I had to educate a couple of them that some had been very successful competion horses. Ariel, in her glory had been a successful Trillium pony.

Now that I think of it, besides this particular friend and 2 co-workers (both instructors) everyone I know is either taller or heavier than me;)

My side of the family respect my decisions where horses are concerned.

newrider.com