how much weight can freddie carry

kellyanne

Jun 7, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have owned freddie for almost two year and just wondered how much weight he could carry max?

He is 14.2-14.3 but as you can see built very much like a pony :D

Last edited:
hi everyone,

I jUst realsied how rude ive been not saying hello before i start asking questions :p

Well the reason i ask is because my lovely husband keeps on asking if he can get on him and i have said no way your too big!

He is 6ft and weighs in at around 14 stone (i am just under 11 and fighting it back down after having 2 little angles :D) I was 13.2 when i bought him just after having baby number 2 and he carried me fine

i love fred to death he is so great my little boy who is 2 is riding him now and he loves it. Fred happily lets Josh groom him, cuddle his legs, sit on him while i groom him, feed him treats and even puts up with all the little things out little ones do wrong b4 we can correct them and teach them the right way (like grooming agains the lay of the hair)

He is worth his weight in gold and will be with me for the rest of his life (as he is only 10 thats a long time :rolleyes:)

Thanks kelly as you might be able to tell i like him lots and lots

I do worry alot that i look a bit big on him and that people might think i should have a larger horse.

Anyway now ive gone on and on and on ill leave you all alone.

Thasnks again for your replys anymore would be greatfully recieved

Kelly

Last edited:
Oh, I thought you were new! :D
Welcome to New Rider and I cannot wait to see and read more about your boy! :D

And with regards to you being too big for him, I'm sure your not! Adults can ride 12hh ponies fine so long as they arent too heavy for them, and you know your not too heavy for him! You'll meet loads of pony riding adults, we do have loads so you can ask for extra advice from them.
I'm sure you and Freddie will share loads more memorable moments together with your children, but dont forget to poast them up with lots of pictures -- we love pictures here! :D

Have fun and again, welcome to the forum!
xxxKellyxxx

If your husband is a complete novice rider then at 14st and 6ft he's going to a lot to expect Freddie to carry. I personally wouldn't expect Freddie to carry more than 14st of balanced, competant rider.

If your husband is depserate to ride then Freddie would cope with carrying him for 10mins at a gentle walk on flat ground, if he's fit and used to carrying weight. To bear in mind that your husband may weight a lot more than 14st once kitted out to ride and as a complete novice (presumably) he has a riding weight of up to 16st:eek:

thanks

Helo again,

Thanks again for the great comments, i agree that hubby is too big for fred :)

but now i have some other opinions that he can take a look at and see im not just trying to keep him all to myself:D

We were thinking about buying a little lead rein for the children to learn on but im in two minds about getting a little one that only they can ride or letting them stay learning on fred (who will safily do anything they ask) and getting a bigger one for hubby that i can also ride and if friends ect want to ride with me they can.

What do you guys think about it?

Do you think they will be able to learn ok on him even though he is so big for them?

We are going to the stables this morning so will post more pics later but here is one of my little sister who was 7 at the time riding for the first time

Attachments

• 22122005(019).jpg
    22122005(019).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 25
welcome to nr ,i think he's lovely ,he seems a very nice chap for the children to ride it's upto you, pony for children or bigger horse for hubby/you , personally i know which option id take :D:D:D

Personally I think it would be better to get the larger horse for your husband.... but maybe I'm being selfish (as thats what I'd prefer to do :D ).
Afterall you have handsome Freddie who will easily look after your children on bord. Whereas if you bought a lead rein for your children, your husband would still have no ride. If you bought the larger horse than your husband could ride and your children can learn on Freddie, so long as you are sure he'll look after them (he does sound like an absolute doll! :) ).
Also getting the bigger horse would mean you and your husband can ride out together, or he can ride out with the children on his horse. i'm sure he'd prefer that! Additionally, your chuldren will not grow out of Freddie soon so he'll be useful to them for years and years to come whereas a leadrein pony can be outgrown quite easily.

Good Luck, tell us of your decision! :)
xxxKellyxxx

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the advise its great having other peole to talk to about all this x

Well I am leaning towards the bigger horse for a few reasons

1) i would like to keep my horses for life and i cant see that happening with a 11 hh pony unless it was very old and near time to be turn our for wel earned rest
2) im sure as they learn they will teach their pony bad habbits and if its fred i can correct them where as a lead rein would not be possible.
3) as kelly said hubby and i can ride out 2gether or when they ar ebigger emily and josh could ride out with one of us.
4) I dont think i would be able to sell the pony on being a bit of a soppy fall in love and keep the forever kind of girl :eek:

and lastly fred's type dont come about that often he's got get up and go but also would do his best to keep you on board if he could. He is perfect (well as perfect as he can be with me in charge:D)in the school field, xcountry field out hacking+

The only bad ponit i can see is that it might be hard for them to learn on him as he is so much bigger than anything a child would learn on

lol as you can see im thinking very hard about it and his merrits are too many to list.

anymore thought would be great good or bad

here ar ethe pics i promised

Do you think i look huge?

Attachments

• DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
newrider.com