How much weight can my cob carry

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
Hi all my husband is wanting to ride my cob he's a very chunky cob with 12" of bone he's 6 years old and broken a year and ridden 3-4 times a week sometimes riding miles I am 13.5 stone but very muscely..I feel bad riding him sometimes I have a very lightweight saddle and am a very balanced rider. He can do anything with me on him and jumps too. I really want to let my husband ride him but not sure he should he's 15.9 stone what does everyone think ?

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
He's 5'8 and a bit of both lol. Toby my cob is 14.3 hh roughly although he hasn't been measured but not any smaller he could be bigger

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
He's 5'8 and a bit of both lol. Toby my cob is 14.3 hh roughly although he hasn't been measured but not any smaller he could be bigger
LOL It was the horse I meant! :D :D

It's a knotty one, 16 stone would be pushing it, I'd not like to make a judgement without seeing them

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Being frank, that's quite a weight for a 5'8" man - is he muscley? What size saddle do you have for your cob? They are very often quite close-coupled and need a shorter saddle so your husband may not fit. My boy is 14.1hh and can only just take a 17" seat (which just about copes with my own ample derriere).

We have a 16hh Clydesdale X and my husband is 6'1". His weight ranges between 14 and a half and 15 stone (he has a physical job and a weird metabolism so his weight can fluctuate almost daily) but his is muscle. Jack has a 17.5" saddle and whilst my husband's bum fits in it OK, he has more of a problem with a long femur and the saddle flaps (if he rides with his stirrups longer he feels too unstable)

Reactions: Layla

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
At a guess I would say no. That's because a short backed cob tends to take a small saddle. I would think he would need a 18.5"

If you feel bad riding your own horse sometimes, why would you want to add another two stone on top?
Mine carries 10 stone, me plus tack. She has carried 13 fine.

Reactions: AmyLou89

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
I'm fine for him he can do anything with me on him he's very strong rides in a 17.5 very lightweight saddle ...I didn't actually say I wanted him to ride him he's been mine for 2 years and wondered what kind of weight he can carry husband is mostly muscle with a covering love horse forums personally I think he's too tall more than anything I'm only 5'5 and that weight people never ever believe I'm that heavy but I am. Can't upload a file as I can't get it small enough.

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
At a guess I would say no. That's because a short backed cob tends to take a small saddle. I would think he would need a 18.5"

If you feel bad riding your own horse sometimes, why would you want to add another two stone on top?
Mine carries 10 stone, me plus tack. She has carried 13 fine.

My feeling bad is just my own paranoia nothing my horse has done I've ridden way smaller in riding schools fine. My horse is very well muscled and fit

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Hi all my husband is wanting to ride my cob he's a very chunky cob with 12" of bone he's 6 years old and broken a year and ridden 3-4 times a week sometimes riding miles I am 13.5 stone but very muscely..I feel bad riding him sometimes I have a very lightweight saddle and am a very balanced rider. He can do anything with me on him and jumps too. I really want to let my husband ride him but not sure he should he's 15.9 stone what does everyone think ?

I'm fine for him he can do anything with me on him he's very strong rides in a 17.5 very lightweight saddle ...I didn't actually say I wanted him to ride him he's been mine for 2 years and wondered what kind of weight he can carry husband is mostly muscle with a covering love horse forums personally I think he's too tall more than anything I'm only 5'5 and that weight people never ever believe I'm that heavy but I am. Can't upload a file as I can't get it small enough.

Actually you did say you wanted him to ride him!

Personally I think it's probably pushing your cob's limits, and if your husband is a non-rider I would say no because his weight combined with a lack of balance - all beginners are unbalanced - is more than I would be happy with.

Reactions: AmyLou89 and Layla

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Well I'm 5ft 3 and weigh 16 stone. 12 inches of bone is a fair bit, but back length would play a part as well. I've ridden highlands around the height of your cob and they have managed well. It would also depend on what you want him to do. I'm sure only you will be able to tell when your oh rides, whether your horse is happy or not. There is some truth in the whole saddle length/rider balance thing. I'm not exactly a pro, but I don't bob about like a sack of potatoes which is what makes us feel even heavier for horses.

Reactions: Layla

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
Actually you did say you wanted him to ride him!

Personally I think it's probably pushing your cob's limits, and if your husband is a non-rider I would say no because his weight combined with a lack of balance - all beginners are unbalanced - is more than I would be happy with.

If you read above hun it says he wants to ride him

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
Well I'm 5ft 3 and weigh 16 stone. 12 inches of bone is a fair bit, but back length would play a part as well. I've ridden highlands around the height of your cob and they have managed well. It would also depend on what you want him to do. I'm sure only you will be able to tell when your oh rides, whether your horse is happy or not. There is some truth in the whole saddle length/rider balance thing. I'm not exactly a pro, but I don't bob about like a sack of potatoes which is what makes us feel even heavier for horses.
Yes I get you I will tell him he has to loose a few stone first haha I'm a hater of dieting but riding everyday looking after 6 horses helps keep me fit and helps with weight loss x

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
O
Yes I get you I will tell him he has to loose a few stone first haha I'm a hater of dieting but riding everyday looking after 6 horses helps keep me fit and helps with weight loss x

I will measure his back length tomorrow and try to get OH to make a smaller pic to upload. I ride him in a 17.5 synthetic maxxam I love them and use them for the younger ones as they are lovely and light. Also I'm nearly 50 and suffer bad arthritis and find them easier to use

Layla

Sep 15, 2015
LOL It was the horse I meant! :D :D

It's a knotty one, 16 stone would be pushing it, I'd not like to make a judgement without seeing them

Yes Toby is 14.3-15 very fit and full of muscle he's got a very powerful rear end and gallops like a steam train with me on him.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Yes Toby is 14.3-15 very fit and full of muscle he's got a very powerful rear end and gallops like a steam train with me on him.
Oh yes I know what you mean about that power. :)
I canter mine up a steep hill, and it's a case of what hill, I didn't see one.

Answering the what weight yours could carry, probably what mine would. About your weight.