How much weight could my horse carry?

tabithakat64

Fudge & Lady
Feb 6, 2007
Herts, UK
www.myspace.com
How much weight could my horse carry? He's 10 years old and 14.3hh. It would be for light work, hacking and schooling.
Also would you say he was HW? (I haven't measured how much bone he has yet).
0805050006.jpg

fudge-1.jpg

How much does the horse weigh? (proper weight, not overweight!) Is he totally fit and healthy? Does he have good conformation?

How much does the tack weigh? Is the prospective heavyweight rider fit and experienced, or an unbalanced unskilled lump?

A good rule of thumb is that a horse can carry up to 20% of its own body weight without any problem. It will be able to carry up to 25% or even more when the rider is skilled and considerate, and the horse fit, or if only short, slow rides are taken. Bear in mind that a rider who is much larger than usual may well need the horse to be fitted with a different saddle for the comfort f both of them.

Of course the general build of the horse must be taken into account, too, and any weaknesses considered carefully.

However, most horses are more than capable of carrying more than most riders imagine.

a good 15 stone easily. the thing u have to look at is if he moves easily and trots and so on whilst u or a heavy weight is on bourd then he is ok. if his knees start to buckle then u have problems lol

Such a kind eye.
I'm going to disagree and say around 13 and a half MAYBE more if the rider was skilled and he had been built up to take that, rather than just plonking it on him.

I always say less than most people, so it might be best to ignore me ;) 13 stone, 14 at the most. He could carry more but that doesn't mean it would be good for him.

newrider.com