how much weight do you think this pony could carry

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
shes a stocky little section a, shes 12hh and about 12 yrs old. not had any back problems, but has had laminitis. shes perfectly sound now and not had any problems.
she will be ridden in a treeless saddle.
Picture0088.jpg

i have another picture of her without a rider, but need to scan it in, which i will hopefully be able to do later.
thanks
tasha

we might be thinking of taking her on some funrides, mostly walking wiht only little bits of trot and canter with a few small jumps.

I suppose it depends on the pony. I weigh 9st and ride my friends 13.2hh New forest pony. To be honest though, I wouldn't ride anything smaller than 13hh, mainly because of the way people react to it, despite my being fairly light I am quite leggy so can look a bit large on the pony.

Gorgeous pony!

If she's in a treeless, I think theres a weight limit anyway of about 80kg.
I think that she would carry up to 11-12 stone, if shes got decent bone on her, but don;t quote me on that.

i think shes got 7 1/2 inches of bone, i did measure her at one time, but cant remember now.
she would be wearing either a trekker dressgae saddle, an ansur classic or an ansur konklusion.

I'm not overly sure. but My 16hh TB carries my 16stone steo dad every now and again, and she does it easily, and TB's aren't exactly known for there weight carrying ability.

I would say about 12stone, but the pony will let you know if she's comfortable or not. If she's sluggish and unhappy in her work, then she;s carrying too much, but if she's keen, then there shouldn;t be a problem.

we took her out yesterday and she was fine, really alert and happy, and bobbing along. i had to swop with my mum as her horse was scaring her, mums a bit heavier than me, and susie was fine.
im just a bit worried she will be too havy for her.

I would say if she's going fine, and is tootling along happily, there shouldn;t be a problem. It's more down to the pony than just saying she carries 6stone or 15 stone etc.

Small ponies have remarkable weight carrying abilities - more than we give them credit for.

Well Holly is quite a fine Welsh secA and she carries me fine for shortish rides, havnt tried for more than 50 minutes during a lesson, but she was fine with it, I jumped her and everything
Miffy is bigger and she carries me fine too.
So did Tumble, rode him for 1.5hrs once and rode him in lessons with jumping. He was too scary and strong for the little kids

here is holly
Holly.jpg

Miffy
IMG_3668.jpg

I think that they can probably carry 10st easily at least and with fittening up, careful building up probably more

newrider.com