How much weight on Gitcha?

BeachRiding

Aug 26, 2004
USA
Were not sure if Gitcha is 15.1hh like the original owner stated, or 14.3hh, which I am starting to doubt as I rode a horse who was def. 14.3hh and she felt alot smaller than Gitch.

Anyway, I weigh 190 IBS, or 14 stone I believe.:eek: Weight does not include saddle.Gitcha carries me perfectly fine, but I was wondering how much I should really expect him to carry? I am desperately struggling to lose weight right now, what should my ideal weight be on him?

Info:
Gitch is a stocky 6 y.o Quarter Horse gelding, who is in top condition, ridden almost every day.

Last edited:
You know, if he's used to the weight, I wouldn't be concerned (God knows QHs carry 230lbs men for hours a day and retire perfectly sound :eek: )

Have you had someone out to check his back yet? That's usually an indication - if he has a very sore back, either the saddle ir out of whack, or the weight of the person is too much or unevenly distributed.

If he's in top condition he'll have strong muscles, stocky he'll have bigger bones and 14 stone isn't that much to carry.

All the same, maybe have someone to check his back/tack make sure weight is distributed evenly.

(if you're really desperate to lose weight try the south beach diet, it's not too bad though no alcohol or fruit *which is killer* and it works!!)

You know, if he's used to the weight, I wouldn't be concerned (God knows QHs carry 230lbs men for hours a day and retire perfectly sound :eek: )

Have you had someone out to check his back yet? That's usually an indication - if he has a very sore back, either the saddle ir out of whack, or the weight of the person is too much or unevenly distributed.
He is getting his back checked and his saddles fit as soon as he comes home from training.

I am working really hard at losing weight but can't seem to lose a pound? Grr... So frustrating.

this weight loss malarky is too hard, surely theres a way where I can still have wine, crisps and ben&jerrys!!

14st should be fine on him. 14st in a well fitted western saddle he'd find easy.

14st in a english saddle is a little different thought - the surface area is so much less. I wouldn't put anything more that about 14st on him in an english saddle.

newrider.com