How Much Weight Would A Gelding Put On A Mare, When MountIng?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Yes I did mean to put gelding, any ideas?

One livery concerned about her mare hurting her back. I am more well that is nature, get in there coblet! But knowledgeable peeps please, is it a big problem.

Relative sizes would affect it.

If the mare is smaller, the gelding could put more of his weight on her.

More damage tends to be done to the mares backs by the stallions teeth, if he is trying to hold on, and she is reluctant, or by his flailing front hooves, if she doesn't stand still, and he is enthusiastic but lacking in experience or skill.

A bruise from his front hooves is probably more likely than weight, unless the mare is smaller.

I would definitely get my mare out of there, and if she kicked the gelding before then, I would say he deserved it!

Is the gelding a known rig?

Last edited:
My gelding I think has done it to our other gelding, as he had cut marks around his hips which we thought were from his shoes. I Separated him and he got put in the sin bin for a few weeks! The older horse we didn't want to risk any damage to his pelvis.

I wouldn't be happy if it was my mare at all.

He was done late, owner got on rigcalm, she doesn't want him doing it. Set up on yard is there isn't really anywhere else for mine to go, the other mare belongs to yo.
Mine is throwing herself him, 4 in June and 2hh smaller

Electric fence?

Owner of the gelding/rig pays and sets it up!

Is it worth getting yours marbled if she such a hussy? A bit extreme, but better than back damage?

Ps my tb wasnt done until 4, he lives with two mares, one of which is a real hussy, he shows no interest at all. Is it worth getting this gelding checked?

Last edited:
Owner of him will have to sort, he actually penetrates, I am hoping here that this is blanks he is producing. He could be moved, but mares in other field as well.
Always lived with colts, will be 2nd year mixed.

"What goes on between a horse and a member of An Garda Síochána at Smithfield Horse Fair is their own business. £/€20 FREE BET for the best caption for this picture. "

This was the caption on "Boylesports'" Face Book page last night, and the accompanying photo????

Horsefair.jpg

THe horse stands a better chance than this poor Garda officer! :D :D :D

newrider.com