How much weight...

Um, sparkie, they might be able to carry you no problem, but we're talking about someone almost double your weight. There's no comparision. Yes, of course many small ponies can carry adults, but only small adults. And 5'6 and 11st+ doesn't count as 'small' ;) Me, being roughly that height and weight will never, sadly, be counted as 'small'.

at 6stone 8 sparklie, you weigh less then most 12 yearold kids (who average about 7stone).
i think that about 9-10stone is what your average small female adult weighs and im pretty sure that a fit healthy section A can carry that. a show pony type b probably less then the stocky sec A but a stocky sec B would have no probs with 11 stone

Last edited by a moderator:
and don't forget that "ready reckoner" includes the saddle etc

so its not the rider who can be up to 11 stone, its the whole kit and caboodle including stirrup irons !

Our Eriskay has a synthetic saddle and light weight stirrups for this reason - but even then I am not riding her (nor telling you my weight !). But her rider is in the 8-9 stone bracket and 5ft4

Even then the pony is just backed and lacks muscle tone and balance so its all slow, quiet, short sessions.

Cvb has a very improtant point. Very few people realsise quite how much extra we weight with riding gear on and with tack.

The avarage rider has an extra 1st to 1.5 stone with JUST clothes, boots and hat! I weight just over 10st first thing in the morning with my PJ's, but my riding weight is almost 11 1/2st! :eek:

The avarage leather saddle weights over a 1.5st (1st for a pony saddle, 2st for a 18" heavy saddle).

Which means a pony carrying an 11st (first thing in the morning) rider is in fact carrying 13 or 14st all told.

im 5'8" and around 10 and a half stone (which is within normal weight range - it sounds a lot but im tall)

i ride my 13hh pony and she carrys me fine. welshies are probably less hardy than a exmoor though.

word of warning - if you go for a small pony, you will constantly fret about how much you weigh and be on a constant diet so you can stay thin and ride your pony. you also get people sniping at you.

thats not a reason not to get a pony - but just be aware of it. to some extent it has made mt life with Happy a misery - although we've learnt to ignore it, it even meant i gave up riding with friends and quit my riding school.

im very bitter, you can tell :eek:

newrider.com