How much work to counteract..

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
What he's eating.

Now this is probably impossible. But it would be nice to know how much work I should be doing with ale and what intensity to keep his weight down over winter.

He has a trace clip and I intend to rug as light as possible (naked now)

He has his night hay soaked for 12 hours and he gets 2 regular sections.

He is out for 8 hours a day with unlimited hay (this is where it all falls apart haha but I can't do anything about it)

Any thoughts or any way of working out how much needs to be done. Or anymore advice?

I don't know - Roxy is on unlimited hay and two huge feeds a day and I am struggling to keep weight on her! On average a week I do: two 45 minute-1 hour hacks, one 3-hour session every Weds when we go for our flatwork/jumping lesson and hack there and back, and a one hour schooling/jumping session. That definitely seems to keep her weight down, but there are so many factors that go into weight management that I don't really know how you work out what needs to be done.

When I find the formula I will let you know! Ben is out naked overnight on good grazing and gets a small soaked haynet when he comes in everyday but he often doesn't eat it all. He gets no other hard feed and is ridden everyday for about an hour. We vary the intensity between just walking out, having lessons, schooling, jumping and competing. And he is still putting on weight this winter!

From memory mine got 8kg over a 24 hour period, soaked for 8 eight hours. This worked out at 1kg every three hours. Depending on what Ale weighs he might only want 5.5kg when in.
How much in weight are the two slices?

I also fed a large net of straw with a straw bed, always had hay left.

The weather needs to drop it's temperature!

I am not giving mine any hay at all when you in the field, they don;t need it. They get 2 sections of hay with they are in over night and a small feed of Alfalfa and sugarbeet.

newrider.com