How much would you pay for a rug repair?

It would all depend really. For instance I have a Rambo no fill rug that I had re-proofed and it cost £30. BUT, it was PROPERLY re-proofed, not the silly cleaning and reproof that some feed merchants send your rug away to that you can see is not waterproof on its return.

I didn't mind spending £30 on the Rambo, but wouldn't on a cheap rug.

Same goes for repairs. On my good rugs, I would happily spend £40 or £50, but again, not on a cheapy.

Same as above, on the Rambos I reproof them myself and give them a wash (learnt the hard way not to use the pressure washer :frown: ) but then it's just a bit of a light scrub to get the worst of the mud off.

For repairs, if it's a small tear that needs repairing then upto £30 I'll spend on the Rambos otherwise I do it myself.

I'd probably spend up to £30 on Joe's old rugs as they were expensive - some of them cost up to £200, so that would be money well spent. On cheaper rugs I'd either repair it myself or not bother - lets face it, a rain sheet that costs £25 isn't worth spending £30 to get mended is it? I wash rain sheets myself and re-proof with nik wax in the washer. The larger rugs I used to get done when we were on a yard, but haven't had them done for years as neither of ours wears them.

It would depend on the quality and usefulness/fit of the rug to me. The most I have ever spent is around 15 quid a year.

One of my horses, Evie, came with an original rambo turnout, 12 years ago, it fitted her well even though it was scruffy and had had repairs. It has lasted and lasted with the occassional re proof. I chucked it about two years ago when I had the money to buy a new rug (I felt she deserved it).

Most of the ones round me pick up for free and drop off and charge between £12-19 for a fullneck rug wash,reproof and upto about £7 for a repair depending on what it is I've always payed around £20 for wash,reproof and repair,£15ish just for wash and reproof.

Pay for a rug repair? I have a needle and some industrial thickness thread off my gran! I mostly sew mine up myself, having taken squares off rugs that others have put in the bin I can patch up most things that she does to them although I did get a strap replaced when it went off to be cleaned...

I used to sit and do all the riding school ones on an evening while waiting to be collected when I was younger so I have plenty of practice, these days they stay closed and look neat, you used to get one or the other! :redface:

I never have.

I don't really use rugs, I just have 3 for in case and I am certain one won't now go round the bottom!
So if she wrecked them I would stick on ebay and get in a another spare.

The reason is that our rug repair requires you to have it cleaned first, then you would need to reproof, THEN on top is the repair. Its cheaper to sell and buy another. I only use Amigo.

i have never paid for any repairs, always done them myself. When some rugs have got so bad through over-use i cut off the buckles and keep some of the material ready for when other rugs may need some repairs :) i quite enjoy doing it tbh!

i wash and reproof them myself too.

When i sometimes buy new rugs i tend to buy second hand ones and reproof them myself. works out cheaper than buying brand new. I am gradually changing all Majors and Moets rugs to Amigo's as they fit them really well, i sell their old ones then put the money away for when i spot a good deal on a second hand Amigo :)

Ben doesn't wear a rug at all these days, but when he did he came in with 2 big rips in his Mark Todd turnout. The rug only cost £70 so I repaired it myself - and did a pretty good job as well! Most rips are easily repaired, I don't understand why people pay to have them done.

Most of the ones round me pick up for free and drop off and charge between £12-19 for a fullneck rug wash,reproof and upto about £7 for a repair depending on what it is I've always payed around £20 for wash,reproof and repair,£15ish just for wash and reproof.

Similar here, though I drop mine off at the place I suspect most of the local tack shops that offer a cleaning service take their rugs to and they do them at trade prices if I take enough at once.

Thanks for your replies everyone, so if I've read them correctly some people will pay up to £30 for a repair but some only up to about £7?

Starting to offer this as a service in our local area and wanted to see what people would pay :smile:

newrider.com