How much would you pay for tack cleaning?

charliepup

Sep 21, 2005
Just wondered how much people pay (if at all!) for tack cleaning.
A lady I know charges £5.00 for either a saddle or bridle. Is that pretty normal/fair? I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I thought about cleaning tack at our yard for some extra cash, but decided that it wouldn't be a good idea, because if I have a bad week with my joints, I won't be able to do any.

I was intending to charge depending on what people wanted cleaning, because some people have very simple bridles and others have all kinds of bits of leather hanging off - nosebands, martingales, etc. which take a bit longer. Probably about £3 for a bridle that was just the head piece, cheek pieces, bit and reins, and fifty pence per extra bit. For saddles, I planned to charge £3.50 for synthetic saddles and £5.00 for leather, as I find synthetic much easier to clean and most of it just needs a quick spray and a good brush down.

realy depends on how clean it is at the end. I dont pay at the moment but would love someone to clean my tack for a show. However im a demanding person and it would have to be spotless before i paid. probably about £5 for my pelham bridle and the same for my saddle.

Oh I'd pay by the hour to clean my harness, but I'd want ALL the brass polishing properly.

To me, the whole concept of paying someone to clean my gear for me is a little bizarre:eek: . I guess it's because I've always been so independant with my horses (being the only horsey one in the family and keeping horses at home) and if I don't do it, it doesn't get done:eek:
A fiver doesn't sound too bad, depending on how long it takes.

Well, I have err, 2 sets o pairs harness, 3 sets of big pony harness and about 4 sets of Shetland harness, only one set is synthetic. Then ther's all my saddles, and bridles.

There's a girl at the yard that does it for a bit of extra pocket money, I've paid her £5 a time in the past to clean a bridle and saddle. She does a very good job, it's just I can't afford to get it done very often :rolleyes:

now ive only got 1 saddle and bridle to clean but quite a few years ago i use to drive a landua (hope i spelt that right) very much like the ones in blackpool, but this was in devon for the tourist, we had 3 horses which did there shift during the day, so there would have been about 5 sets of large harnesses with the very heavy collars to clean, i didnt mind cleaning that then but would pay someone too do it now, mind you i would probally be out of pocket by the time they undid it all cleaned it and put it back together again the right way.

We have a mobile groom liveried on our yard, she charges £5 for a saddle and £7 for a bridle.

There is a young girl on the yard does it to, she is really good, gives her abit of money, its £5 a set, or £3 for saddle £2.50 for bridle.

i'd feel a bit uncomfortable paying someone to clean my tack- my working class roots are too strong, i'd feel like such a lazy c*w.
Also i feel bad if i use the car wash instead of cleaning it myself, i could spend the money on something else :)

I wouldn't want somebody else cleaning my tack - cos its one of the things I dreamt of doing as a child (have wanted own horse for many many years:eek: ) I am sooo delighted with all things horsey that I really enjoy cleaning mine (on a nice day of course;) ). Its sad I know......:p :D

Trewsers or Karinus - if you ever fancy a working holiday you can come and clean my tack.(lol)
Have to say it is too much like housework for me - I am trying to save up for a synthetic bridle (no hope of a synthetic saddle). I used to use a saddle cloth to save tack cleaning, but they slip too much on the Highland.

As my teenage children eat money I have to do it myself - better get it done this weekend for the dressage........

newrider.com