How much would you pay to share this horse??

SpringySpring

May 3, 2008
London is my playground
Once a week. The yard has a school and some hacking, but it is not great. The horse is lovely! :D She is kept on DIY, so you have to muck out, turn out, make up dinner and hay etc.

She is NOT for share, im just curious how much you would pay :)

depends how good the horses schooling/jumping was tbh

if the horse is a happy hacker i wouldnt pay mre than £5 as the hacking isnt great
if the horse was good on the flat and/or jumping i might pay £10

but personally I wouldnt share a horse for only one day a week, I would want more riding than that

its a bit of a how-longs-a-piece-of-string question really because it all depends on why you want or need a sharer, what the sharer wants/is able to do with your horse, the facilites, what chores (if any) you're asking them to do......

I looked into sharing briefly before deciding to buy my own, and I found a couple of lovely possible neds but got really put off because both owners seemed much more interested in having another body to help with chores and contribute financially than in what would benefit their horses.

If you're offering someone a chance to just turn up and ride with no strings, there's scope to charge a fair bit - I would have been prepared to pay a set amount per ride (£10 +) or a share of the overall costs depending on how often I rode, but Tbh I thought it was a bit of a cheek to be charged anything if I was going to be helping out with all the chores and exercising someone's horse for them when they couldn't! I would have considered a token amount of £5 a ride, but tbh I think much more than that is taking the p*ss!

What would she be worth to you? What I'm saying is I would be happy to share a dream horse I ride at my RS (schooling livery) for 1-2 days a week and would be more than willing to pay £20-£25. Maybe you think thats expensive but I spend £24 on a half hour private lesson at the mo, I would give anything to hack again but the RS doesn't do hacks, really miss the grooming and just general pottering round the stables making feeds, bringing in and turning out, general stuff that goes hand in hand with a share.
Plus I'd still get more saddle time than 30 minutes.
I think its more than about the money but what you would get out of it for your money. Does that make sense?

I ride a friends horse for free as a favour to her but she does have a sharer also, she does 2/3 days a week and pays £15.....but its only because the owner has just had a baby and doesnt have the time she used to. Plus sharing a horse isnt always just about the riding so i think contributing to the cost gives you a starter in the overall way of how it is keeping your own......you wouldnt keep your own for free...If you after just someone to excersize ** horse...then you prob shouldnt charge but if your looking for a proper 'sharer' i think its fair to charge £5 a day and include chorse...as its all part and parcel of horse ownership! Just MO though....x

I would say you work a fair way to do it would be to follow these simple calculations: -

DIY costs
Rent: - £25 p/w
Hayledge: - £15 p/w
Straw: - £8p/w
Feed: - £4 p/w
Shoes: - £10p/w
= £62p/w = £8.86 per day

Multiply the daily rate by the number of days and bobs your uncle.

Get them to get their own rider only insurance.

I'm intrigued by some of these answers! As a sharer I personally wouldn't pay anything for one day a week.

I'm intrigued by some of these answers! As a sharer I personally wouldn't pay anything for one day a week.

How come?? You're still having the privilege of riding someone else's horse - why on earth should you do it for free, just because it's one day a week? an hourly riding lesson is between £18.00 to £30.00 in England?? The owner of your horse presumably still has bills to pay??

I have two sharers, one of only does one day a week (her choice) and she pays me £50.00 per month. :confused:

I've shared 2-ponies and have had 2-different arrangements

1. Paid for shoes only £60.00 every 6-weeks owner valued my time more than my money, although I used to buy extra straw and feed as well just as an extra thank you. I used to ride up to 7-days a week and did all the chores on the days I was there.

2. had same agreement initially as No 1 but then started to pay £25.00 per week for again as many days as I wanted, all chores were mine to do on my days.

I think if you are sharing, a contribution of some sort is necessary as is doing some of the chores, if you just want to turn up and ride, go to a RS where you don't have to or not obliged to do anything other than ride.

Sharing IMO is a great way for people to get an idea about ownership, the commitment involved and the cost.

I'm guessing that because the share is only offered for one day per week that it wouldn't be going up for share due to financial reasons, but rather due to time constraints- the owner can't make it that particular day. If this was the case and it was me, I wouldn't ask any money from the sharer. They would be doing me a favour by exercising my horse and 'working' for it by doing all the chores for me too. Again, pretending this was me, I look at it from this viewpoint- if the sharer wasn't there I'd have to pay someone to look after my horse. So it works both ways- I get my horse looked after for free, they get a horse to ride for free.

My sharer pays £7.50 a day for Bramble we have a school and great hacking, in all honesty she could have Bramble for as many days as she likes but she is only able to do 2-3 days. I don't ask for the full costs of Bramble for the day as she does do chores for me :)

Spot on martini55 - and that's how it was with my old share horse. Her owner was only around at the weekends, so I got to ride and look after the horse for free during the week - otherwise she would have had to pay to have the horse on full livery! It was a reciprocal agreement that worked brilliantly for both of us.
Pale Moon , I didn't say a person shouldn't have to pay for one day a week, I said I personally wouldn't!

Last edited:
How come?? You're still having the privilege of riding someone else's horse - why on earth should you do it for free, just because it's one day a week? an hourly riding lesson is between £18.00 to £30.00 in England?? The owner of your horse presumably still has bills to pay??

But at an RS you're paying for the instructor's time and 'expertise', not providing exercise the horse wouldn't get otherwise or helping out with chores like mucking out, grooming, poo picking etc.

Payment and contirbutions don't have to be monetary - for some people just having another body to ride and the help with chores are worth far more because it saves them having to do it themselves or pay someone else to do it. (As in Joosie & Martini's examples)

Each to their own though - as with so many other horsey matters there will be nearly as many opinions as people. Some sharers are obviously happy to pay a lot more, and if you can find them, well done! :)

:confused:
Spot on martini55 - and that's how it was with my old share horse. Her owner was only around at the weekends, so I got to ride and look after the horse for free during the week - otherwise she would have had to pay to have the horse on full livery! It was a reciprocal agreement that worked brilliantly for both of us.
Pale Moon , I didn't say a person shouldn't have to pay for one day a week, I said I personally wouldn't!

I understand that, but my question is why not?? You're still getting the benefit of riding someone else's horse??

But at an RS you're paying for the instructor's time and 'expertise', not providing exercise the horse wouldn't get otherwise or helping out with chores like mucking out, grooming, poo picking etc.

Payment and contirbutions don't have to be monetary - for some people just having another body to ride and the help with chores are worth far more because it saves them having to do it themselves or pay someone else to do it. (As in Joosie & Martini's examples)

Each to their own though - as with so many other horsey matters there will be nearly as many opinions as people. Some sharers are obviously happy to pay a lot more, and if you can find them, well done! :)

*sighs* yes - I understand that at a RS you are paying for the instruction and "expertise" but you are paying about £25.00 PER HOUR, not £25.00 per week for three days!!!

Sorry to bang on, but it really annoys me, personally, when I hear people saying that they don't see why they should pay for a share, or that they won't pay if the share horse is lame, etc. I do understand that some people don't need the money, but that aside, riding is a luxury sport and I fail to see why some people expect to do it for scot free! some of them even intimate that the owner should pay them for "exercising their horse!"

Drives me nuts!

Mind you - might have something to do with the fact that my horse is full livery, and it costs me an arm and a leg to keep him. I would never offer anyone to ride my horse for free when I'm paying huge amounts of money each month - why on earth should I??

newrider.com