How much?

DaisyAM

May 26, 2016
Hi all,
I'm considering selling my horse for a variety of reasons but not sure what price to state - I actually don't care about the money, the home needs to be right but I need to put something on an ad. She's a 15.2 16 year old Anglo Arab cross, has been a competition horse although don't know the ins and outs of what she achieved (I bought her from a friend for hacking so wasn't interested in the competition history).
She's been used for hacking/schooling for the past two and a half years. She's very safe in traffic although prefers hacking in company she will go out alone, good with dentist/physio, good with farrier until nailing on and then needs distracting with carrots which works every time.
Thks x

£1,500. 16 is a bit older than most people will want and as you say there's no competition history, which brings the price down. You'd probably be able to get more if you got someone to go out and compete her, but that's a hassle!

I don't think that competition history matters really as I think if someone wanted to compete seriously then they would buy a younger horse. If she has been a good happy hacker for you then I would try and find a home where she could carry on doing just that.

The price needs to reflect that she is 16 but as long as she is fit and healthy I would ask for £2,000 with the view of accepting £1,500.

Reactions: squidsin
A good safe hacking horse is a pleasure. Is she forward and willing as well as safe and sane? No bucking, napping?

If she can jump and has nice paces for dressage (you don't say what kind of competition) then she could be good for a teenager as a PC allrounder. I don't think 16 is particulalry old and quite a lot of parents prefer a been there/done that type.

I think she is worth more than is being suggested if she is a good, safe, kind allrounder with no vices or health issues, who can also jump pretty well and moves nicely.

Reactions: DaisyAM
How much questions are always hard as they're only worth what someone's willing to pay already you can see what one person is willing to pay another wouldn't be. I'd probably value her at £2k but with a view of taking less. The not as keen hacking alone would put me off a little as would the shoeing, I'm often not around when mine gets shod so being good to shoe is must as is being 100% alone hacking I won't look at anything that prefers company. There'll be other people where these things won't bother them though. If you could find out her competition history it would be useful to put on add that she's done that previously but now does this maybe.

A lot of people want to see a competition history even if they've no intention of going out competing themselves. The horse world is a funny old place!

newrider.com