How often do you check....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Your fields for rabbit holes? I noticed a hole in the banking that separates the arena from the top paddock. So yesterday I went looking and checked the whole field. I didn't see anything but I am glad I looked just in case. How often do you check for these? And how often do you check your electric fencing? I had forgotten about pesky rabbits as we don't see many. They had been busy in my school though:rolleyes::mad:

I have a weekly perimeter check and a casual glance for rabbit holes while I'm at it, I don't have to check fencing really, the YO takes care of everything, I just enjoy the walk and it's handy if there is anything amiss I can report to the YO.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I also check as I poo pick. We've also got a badger set (massive hole) which I've fenced off. We have a paddock which is so riddled with rabbit holes it's unusable at the moment. Shame as it would make a brilliant schooling area. Noticed yesterday a mixi rabbit, so we'll get a drop in numbers this year.

I check as I am pootling about, I try to check fences weekly so do it when I'm doing that, it's more difficult in the longer grass, but I just keep an eye out when I move the strip fence.

Reactions: Huggy
The electric fencing stays put ok and I know it's charged because it's a solar battery and flashes when live. BUT, look what hoodlum Hogan did to the post and rail last week! :mad:o_O ps - yes the crow is sitting on his bottom.20190212_172054.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
I have loads of rabbit hole areas. I just hope that my two are sensible enough to avoid them. Fortunately the old boy doesnt charge round but the youngster is a nightmare. We have in the past had someone to ferret the areas where they are but we currently dont have anyone. So we hope for a good dose of mixi to reduce the numbers.
Fortunately all our perimeter field fencing is high tensile electric fencing. It gets checked periodically in case any trees have dropped on it after high winds. Dont do a regular check but when I'm in an area of the field I'll generally have a glance at that section. Most of our internal fencing is either high tensile electric or stock netting with 2 high tensile electric strands on top. So very low maintainance.
I usually use a strand of poly wire to contain the boys in a section of the field or if I'm strip grazing. As I've been doing it many years I'm pretty experienced with knowing if you put up a slack temporary fence it will be down in no time so I have to say I make sure they are done properly, and it's very rare the animals get out. More of a problem when joyriders decide to have a jolly through the fields and dump cars.

Last edited:
I have loads of rabbit hole areas. I just hope that my two are sensible enough to avoid them. Fortunately the old boy doesnt charge round but the youngster is a nightmare. We have in the past had someone to ferret the areas where they are but we currently dont have anyone. So we hope for a good dose of mixi to reduce the numbers.
Fortunately all our perimeter field fencing is high tensile electric fencing. It gets checked periodically in case any trees have dropped on it after high winds. Dont do a regular check but when I'm in an area of the field I'll generally have a glance at that section. Most of our internal fencing is either high tensile electric or stock netting with 2 high tensile electric strands on top. So very low maintainance.
I usually use a strand of poly wire to contain the boys in a section of the field or if I'm strip grazing. As I've been doing it many years I'm pretty experienced with knowing if you put up a slack temporary fence it will be down in no time so I have to say I make sure they are done properly, and it's very rare the animals get out. More of a problem when joyriders decide to have a jolly through the fields and dump cars.
Do you actually get that happening? That's awful!

I have never checked for rabbit holes. I am on a livery yard where most of the horses are on part/full livery, but I don't think that the staff check for them either. What do you do when you find them? Just block them up I guess?

I have never checked for rabbit holes. I am on a livery yard where most of the horses are on part/full livery, but I don't think that the staff check for them either. What do you do when you find them? Just block them up I guess?
If we catch them as they're starting, we fill them in. We've only got one paddock so riddled that it's dangerous, and therefore out of use. There's four fields in all, and two have hardly any, one has a few, but they're round the edges, so not too risky.

We fill them in as and when we see them, so I generally mooch about with my shovel - and dig sods of nearby earth and fill them. They can be nasty otherwise.

newrider.com