How often does

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Your horse lie down? Didn't want to post this in the injury area because I am not sure if there is any link in my horses case. So, how often does yours lie in their field for example? Appreciate it might be difficult to tell in some cases as you may not be there for any length of time.
Thanks in advance, just not sure if I ought to be concerned or whether I am simply being paranoid.

My wee one hardly ever lies down, but Marley he loves lying down and having a snooze or lying down and still eating the grass lol When the weather is nice he seems to lie down more often..I couldn't say how often he lies as I have never actually thought to take note..Sorry probably not much help..

Reactions: Trewsers
Ale not alot, other horses a few time a day for a fairly long time. Has she suddenly started lying down more?

Jess once a day, hank twice often and harry I haven't really sussed yet. If they go down more, distressed or not, I go into high alert for colic or other nasties.

Ale not alot, other horses a few time a day for a fairly long time. Has she suddenly started lying down more?

She's always liked a snooze lying down around lunch time in the field, and she nearly always has a mid morning nap now, just wondered if I should worry. She was flat out fast asleep earlier. I was bothered cos she does have an ongoing on / off tendon problem. I'd hate to think she was uncomfy. Chloe never seems to lie down!

Jess once a day, hank twice often and harry I haven't really sussed yet. If they go down more, distressed or not, I go into high alert for colic or other nasties.

It was really the tendon I was worrying over. OH reckons I am mithering over nothing and that it's just mainly her chilling in the sun. I'd hate for her to be having to lie down cos it was hurting or something. Atm she's wearing her ice boot twice a day - as yesterday she looked lame again:(
But, the lying down has been going on ages - it's not really coincided with yesterday. I do know her and J used to lie down together, maybe I am just over thinking because Chloe doesn't seem to join her?

When I first moved up here I was constantly napping !! Might be the change of environment to? If she dosent seem in any discomfort otherwise I wouldnt worry to much personally.

My wee one hardly ever lies down, but Marley he loves lying down and having a snooze or lying down and still eating the grass lol When the weather is nice he seems to lie down more often..I couldn't say how often he lies as I have never actually thought to take note..Sorry probably not much help..

Yeah hahahaa Storm lies down and sometimes nibbles which looks so funny!

When I first moved up here I was constantly napping !! Might be the change of environment to? If she dosent seem in any discomfort otherwise I wouldnt worry to much personally.

Well I did wonder if she generally felt relaxed - and we've had some loveky weather for just snoozing and chilling. Also, I wondered as she's free ranging now that maybe she "plays" and does more during the night!

Reactions: Gimp
There is a study which shows they are more awake at night - they have to work harder to spot predators so this is why they sleep in the day.

My two love a good lay down, though piggy looks like a burial mound when he lies down at the moment!!!!!

I'd think that if she is flat out snoring or even just looking sleepy in the sunshine, then she's just enjoying her lovely new home. My (limited) experience of horses that lie down because of pain is that they tend to be more restless, look tense and generally just not settled. Also, this might sound silly, but I used to live by the sea and whenever we had visitors from 'inland' they were forever commenting on how well they slept. I now live inland and a trip to the sea knocks me out like nothing else :D Maybe it's the same for horses! I hope the ice boot does the trick though and she comes sound soon.

There is a study which shows they are more awake at night - they have to work harder to spot predators so this is why they sleep in the day.

My two love a good lay down, though piggy looks like a burial mound when he lies down at the moment!!!!!

Lol Know what you mean about the burial ground, my Storm looks like a small island........

I'd think that if she is flat out snoring or even just looking sleepy in the sunshine, then she's just enjoying her lovely new home. My (limited) experience of horses that lie down because of pain is that they tend to be more restless, look tense and generally just not settled. Also, this might sound silly, but I used to live by the sea and whenever we had visitors from 'inland' they were forever commenting on how well they slept. I now live inland and a trip to the sea knocks me out like nothing else :D Maybe it's the same for horses! I hope the ice boot does the trick though and she comes sound soon.

Thanks, she does look snoozy, not at all in discomfort. I think I am just mithering over the tendon, tho OH felt it today (he's the leg checker, he seems to have a good feel for it after what happened with J and his suspensory damage) and he reckoned it felt a lot better.

Ben lies down several times per day. He will have at least 2 lay down sleeps in his stable during the day, and I often catch him lying down if I come to they yard early in the morning.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have received telephone calls from new people at the yard because they thought they were dead!!!!

They like a nap between 12 and 2 and they are always down at 6 in the morning. They are very happy and relaxed a my yard.

Good forbid if I want to ride at lunch time they both refuse to get up at all even for treats. I have before had to fly mask and spray chanter layed down because he refused to get up!!!

I've had a few folk voice concerns over flipo's Shetland fieldmate flooding dead. During the summer she's spent a lot of time lying down. She's not doing it so much lately but the weather is generally cooler. Flipo doesn't lie down during the day other than to roll. I think he lies down most early mornings around 4-6am and sometimes I catch up. I always wonder if it's due to his size and the pressure it puts on their organs as to why he doesn't lie down more. And I also worry that he doesn't lie down more because he's arthritic and feels it difficult to get up again.
Hope storm is OK trewsers. I find a good way of seeing if flipo is ok on his bad leg is to try and pick up his good leg. He fidgets and causes trouble if he's not comfortable.

Our elderly head mare has suspensory damage - she was retired 10 years ago because of it. The other horses lie down once a day as far as I can tell, but Bella will lie down during the day a couple of times and likes her nice stable at night where she can have a good long zizz. In the morning her whole bed is squashed flat!

newrider.com