How old (anyone who breeds shetlands)

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
should a shetland be before his testicles descend.

Storm is coming up to a year and seven month. There is no sign of any testicles descended and we would love to get the little one gelded so that we can get him home so that I am not flitting between two yards. I cant find a thing. Had a friend check and she cant find anything either and is not sure if he may be Cryptorchidism. As we want him vacinated now that he is handling well he will be seeing the vet and I will get them to check. Just not sure if we are worrying unnecessarily at the moment and he still has time. Kit was two when I bought him and was already castrated so not had to deal with this

My uncle breeds them and usually castrates them at around a year old. He said he wouldn't be unduly concerned but then his colts are so hairy this time of year (9 months old just now) that it can be hard to get a proper look/feel! Sorry - probably not much help

*goes off and cries now* wally. I dont want to grapple in the warmer weather and want them now. Need him done asap so I can get him home, so he can go out to play rather than being stuck in a stable all day long alone. At the moment he gets on his lead rein and trys to rear and buck and bronc:D Need to de lice, worm and build him up. Is it ok to wait till he is 2yrs old as he will turn 2 in July. I cant bring him home till he is done.

Sometimes when they get a whiff of anaesthetic they come tumbling down!

lol yes I recently heard about that one. My young rider has just had her colt tested and they were inconclusive so its another £140 for more tests then £800 for castration if he is entire. Hmmm we may be waiting for a while longer.

In the meantime he now wormed, clipped and deliced. He is missing a frog however in one of his hooves:confused: Never come across that one. He is also feeling full of himself and its now I wish I was a horse he could play with as he comes running up and mini rearing and bucking. All playful and just wanting to kick his heels due to not being able to get out

£800 fo nip his knackers off????? The one we had who had a retained one removed wasn't that much.

Nope thats to have the op as they are not down:eek:

In the mean time nor are the little ones. Wally we decided to give him till he is two in July. Do you think that will be ok or will he get too much of the stallion in him. At the moment he is a gem to handle will let us feel everywhere and that is the way we want to keep him

My new-to-be littlie was gelded at two - he is a gem to handle, loving, friendly, affectionate, quiet to lead - just scared you might go back and "get them again"!!!! So doesnt appreciate rummaging there very much :p

My big one dont like anyone near his bits either. He'll kick first and ask questions later. Hence we really dont want storm like this:rolleyes:

we decided to give him till he is two in July. Do you think that will be ok or will he get too much of the stallion in him. At the moment he is a gem to handle will let us feel everywhere and that is the way we want to keep him

I don't know about shetlands but my QH was cut when he was 3 and my arab when he was 2.
Both are no problem to handle whatsoever and are both very cuddly :)

thanks for that stormin. He is full of himself at the moment as he cant get out and play. So walking him out is fun:D Trot, canter and buck, kick

newrider.com