How old does a tb need too be too be broken,

M

*MoneyTalks*

out of interest, how much is a colt too be gelded? andddd, how old does a tb need to be too be broken?

TB's are usually broken earlier than most other horses as they mature quicker, around the 2/3 mark isn't particularly unusual especially in racehorses.

No they dont!!! ARGH! No breed matures faster than others! The safest age to break is a common argument but as a rule the older you wait the safer youl be.

See this link, very interesting and a vital read to those who think its okay to break very young or that different breeds mature faster.

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

No they dont!!! ARGH! No breed matures faster than others! The safest age to break is a common argument but as a rule the older you wait the safer youl be.

See this link, very interesting and a vital read to those who think its okay to break very young or that different breeds mature faster.

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

I'll have a read - i've constantly heard that TB's mature faster than most other breeds. Not mentioned it being OK to break horses younger, but agree with what you're saying.

It's personal preference really, but generally for a leisure horse it would be between 3 and 5. Usually the earlier they're broken the more they're turned away. Ie a 5y/o might be broken and then kept in light work whereas a 3y/o might be backed then turned away for a year before being brought into work.

There really is no "right" answer as with many things in the horse world :p

It's personal preference really, but generally for a leisure horse it would be between 3 and 5. Usually the earlier they're broken the more they're turned away. Ie a 5y/o might be broken and then kept in light work whereas a 3y/o might be backed then turned away for a year before being brought into work.

There really is no "right" answer as with many things in the horse world :p

if you broke at say, 2? you would teach all the basics, walk, trot, canter, stand, and then turn away for a year?

if you broke at say, 2? you would teach all the basics, walk, trot, canter, stand, and then turn away for a year?

If you were to break at 2 then yeah I would say people would do that. It depends though - why would they need to break it so early? Usually the reason is money in which case they may see turning it away for a year as a waste of money so they may not.

there is no need too be so blunt, im only 13, and asking out of interest:rolleyes:

i am not being blunt. Training of horses is down to owner preferance so if the owner feels they are doing right by their horse then so be it but if it were based on my personal opinion i would say to break at two is inhumane but it isnt my horse so not my place to say what is/is not to be done.

I included the link so you could read about it and have a deeper understanding.

Hi Moneytalks.

The reason people tend to wait for their horses (any breed) to get to around 3 or 4 before backing is due to their joints still developing. If you back them and ride them too early, you risk damage to their joints.

Therefore, common sense and the kindest way is to maybe play with them at a young age to get used to being handled, learn manners etc, back them at around 3-4, turn away for a rest and to think for a year and bring back to more serious stuff when they reach about 5!

However, in the case of horses being bred for racing, they do start them much earlier.

moneytalks
tbs are broken at 16 18 months in the racing industry because there are big money races for two yr olds and upwards.
It does not make it right, and there is a very high percentage broken down by the time they are five, but if they earnt big money as a three year old then the industry will not stop doing it.
hence the myth that they mature earlier, they dont, it just suits the industry that people believe they do.
Idont think any normal riding horses should be backed until they have passed their 4th birthday , I have the results of a too much too early horse, retired and wrecked at 21 ,after competitivly jumping at 4

No they dont!!! ARGH! No breed matures faster than others!

i dont think thats necessarily true.

ive found irish draft bred (ISH) horses take longer to mature..

someone getting on a 2yo one of those, it just would look terrible.

Last edited:
newrider.com