How slow should I take it?

Completenovice

Mar 31, 2009
Hi All,

I could do with some advice on my new Mare I have recently bought as my first horse! For so long I was so excited that we were buying her (3 weeks before we paid for her) that I kind of got this rose tinted specs thing going on. Anyway as of last week she is ours, on full livery until we know what we are doing. She seems a lovely horse, but yesterday was a bit kind of, "huh who are you?" when we went yesterday to see her and wasnt keen on being groomed, hooves picked, nothing bad she just seems a bit jumpy. Anyway while I was on her last night, she spooked a little bit as a noise (not sure what it was, but quite near us) startled her and she dashed forward, I squealed a bit too (not the best thing to do, but couldnt help it!) and was a bit shaky afterward. It's kind of 'woke me up' in a sense of how we really dont know too much what we are doing. People on the yard are really good, loads of advice but I was wondering how much she/we should expect from her and what kind of things will get us both used to each other for now?
Any advice welcome:)

Just spend lots of time with her getting to know her. She doesnt know who you are and she needs a bit of time.

Why not get a lesson on the ground with her - just to build up your confidence a bit. Once you are confident she will pick up on that and start to trust you.

Good luck - if it helps, nearly everyone has issues when they get a new horse:D

Ditto spend time on the ground with her, groom her etc its taken me 3 months before I even rode my mare, you need to build some trust up, I even took her for waks on a leaid rein for weeks first, took her indoor school and her and I trotted over poles, it will come together

Tracy

Good idea also if you change to part livery so that you are spending more time with her day to day, its being part of her day that lets you each know eachothers quirks and really starts a bond going.

Agree with the groundwork - helped me no end. I think me and my horse saw each other from a different perspective (I had ridden him for a few weeks before we tried groundwork) and I started to see him as less of a challenge and more of a big soppy baby! Good luck, I know you'll get there and it doesn't matter how long it takes, you've got all the time in the world!

i prefer to put them into the routine i will have and get them doing everything i want from the off.

with my sisters pony we bought her home mid morning and she went for a ride that afternoon.

they do better when they have something to do, if you faff about then they faff about more IME

I too have just got my first horse, he's on full livery as well, but the YO told me to come in as much as possible so he gets to know me. She and my coach reckon it'll take at least six months for him to actually trust me!:rolleyes:

Got new horse 5 weeks ago and have spent lot of time on ground with him. He had been with same person for 7 years and was very insecure when he came.

Have had 'advice' from other people on yard that should just have got on with it, but everyday his trust is growing and he is getting more settled. He outwardly looks very calm but when you spend time with him you realise that he is reallly quite stressed.

Have doubted my actions a few times but now I know this was the right thing to do with him - just do what you think, at the end of the day you know yourself better that anyone and trust your instincts.

Mine was very different when I got her home too.

I found the best thing was to put her into teh routine I wanted as soon as I got her, and not to let her get away with ANYTHING! None of this, well she's new so I'll let het get away with it! It doesn't work that way!

I didn't actually bring mine home as I helped with his training but he was wild when I first met him!!

Lots of interaction, grooming or just sitting there helps, as its all new to her she will be uneasy but if you are the one constant 'nice' thing in her life she will see you as a friend and leader.

All horses spook with unusual noises (as do I - especially children noises!!!) so just be ready for it. and dont forget to have fun and enjoy this time!!!!!!

You will be fine - My horses have all tested the water in the first 4 weeks - show her a routine - you set the rules and be consistent with them - Do not give an inch in these first few weeks and you will have a lovely horse x how exciting for you - enjoy :)

Take things as slowly as you want! Just be consistant in your handling, firm but kind, and maybe take her out for walks inhand. Spend time getting to know her, build your relationship and don't rush, you have plenty of time.

Good luck, it is nerve wracking during the first few weeks but it is SO worth it!:D

The best bit of advise I can give you is "Fall in Love" with her. Spend quality time grooming, leading, walking around. Talk to her, tell her you are big and brave for her in her new environment and its it ok for her to let you be her herd leader. :)

Horse ownership is extremely exciting, however it is very scary and testing for the first many months. Keep a list of all the little things that are positive and watch them grow as you become best mates. Dont give up on her, a small spook in a new place is really nothing compared to what could of happened. Good luch with your new friend. :cool:

i prefer to put them into the routine i will have and get them doing everything i want from the off.

with my sisters pony we bought her home mid morning and she went for a ride that afternoon.

they do better when they have something to do, if you faff about then they faff about more IME

I think the above is OK if you are confident with what you are doing and your horse is a 'been there done that' type. But as she is your first horse do as much as you feel confident with otherwise you will find you struggle and knock your confidence and don't be worried about asking those more experience around you for advice no matter what it is - there is so much to learn. Just be consistent though and firm. I had some ground issues with mine at first sounds a bit similar to what you are experiencing, they are just sussing you out. Depending on the age/experience of your horse some things may take a bit longer....a year on mine can still mess about having her hooves picked if she's in a mood but difference is now it doesn't bother me and I can deal with it. Good luck with her and welcome to the first horse club!!

Last edited:
Yup - this all sounds great. Just do baby steps - love those baby steps. Don't compare yourself to others. BE with him as much as you can. Groom, go out for grazing somewhere, and definitely FALL IN LOVE! They will try you to see what you do - that's true. Just be patient with yourself and with the horse. Be firm and be fair. It will all work out. I loved the thing about making a list of positive events! Love yourself, too, for being brave enough to DO this! We're ALL pulling for you!:cool:

Spend lots of time with her, its harder when shes on full livery because everone else is turning her out/feeding etc so makes it harder to bond, but with time a patience she will learn to trust you, building a bond does not happen overnight it can takes months but its well worth the try.

Take her out for little inhand walks, groom her for more the 5mins, talk to her, plait her mane etc.

newrider.com