How to ask?

Feffie

Aug 25, 2010
There's a local kennels about 5 minutes away from my house and I was wondering houw would I go about asking if they had any jobs going or needed any part time help etc.
Would I just ring up and say excuse me but do you have any jobs going?
Or is there a better way to go about things like this?

I'm desperate for a job and hoping to get one here untill I leave for uni and would really like one working with horses, however that's unlikely so looking out at kennels etc.

Or does anyone in south wales need a small amount or big amount of help with their horses/animals etc? I'm more than capable of bringing youngsters on, training the slightly older horse etc.

Call in and ask, potential employers like to see initative and enthusiam - make it happen - it will if you want it bad enough......

Well I popped down and asked and unfortunatly they don't take anyone on as they are a family run business and their insurance would'nt cover me :(
Back to the drawing board.

Unfortnatley I think you might find you can't be that specific/fussy - it's the joy of being a student... I did bar work, admin, call centre, pr, shop work.

I've sent applications into teco, asda, morrisons, lidls, aldis, farm food, working in local stores, mc donalds, burger king etc etc
I just never seemm to get accepted to anything ; ;

Let someone look over your CV/application forms before you send them.

I think it is so difficult as a student to understand what employers are looking for....I applied for loads of jobs after uni and once I eventually got into one, I realised that I had been doing them all wrong. There is an art to them.

If there is a job you really want, ask on here what people think of your application form, you will get a lot of help, and as I say, there will be stuff you dont even think about that will be relevant to employers.

I feel so sorry for young people, or graduates these days, it is just a nightmare trying to find a job. My friend has studied for 4 years at uni, and is now happy that he has got a job as shop assistant. There is just nothing going.

I've gotten my teachers to look over my CV, cover letter, applications etc and they can't see any reason why I wouldn't be picked, I guess it's just pot luck with tonnes of people applying for the same job

I've gotten my teachers to look over my CV, cover letter, applications etc and they can't see any reason why I wouldn't be picked, I guess it's just pot luck with tonnes of people applying for the same job

i think theres a difference betwen what a teacher would see as a good cv and what employers want to see if that makes sense withiut offending anyone!!!

i had one through collage that tutors said was really good etc. i then asked my boss at my placement who was in charge or hiring and firing to go through it with me and we totally re-wrote it. now i work for a training company where we work with apprentices and also commercial companies and the difference between the cv's is very clear. i would ask for some advice on here - also make sure you send a covering letter with every application, even if it doesnt ask for one, and tailor it to the job description!

remember - anyone can bung a cv in the post - someone who is genuinly interested will sit and write a good quality covering letter for the job!

remember - anyone can bung a cv in the post - someone who is genuinly interested will sit and write a good quality covering letter for the job!

Agreed...when we open a post at work we get such a huge response it really does come down to things like the covering letter, dont always get to the cvs. I dont want to offend anyone but we get a lot of applications with covering letters that include text/e-mail speak/abreviations, (we all do it :smile: but there is a time and place) they are put to the bottom right away.

Here's the main bit of my CV, obviously took my address and other personal details out.
It is set out nicely on a word document but obviously can'y copy and paste how it is actually.
Personal Profile
 I am an easily approachable and friendly person who is able to work as part of a team or solo as needed. I can easily adapt myself to different situations and am able to cope easily with stressful situations. I am a very good listener but can also voice my opinion when asked. I am a good problem solver and thrive in situations that keep me active mentally and physically.
 I am planning on going to Aberystwyth University in September in order to further my education and to learn more skills that are useful in life. I am hoping to study Equine Studies with a view to after the course, move on and create my own equine business
Education
Cwmcarn High School
As level
English Literature C
Biology E
Spanish E
GCSE
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish, Music, English language, Mathematics –B
English literature, RS – A
Welsh, Art – C
Child Line certificate in peer support.
Pending A levels in English Literature, Biology and As level in Art.
Experience
Work Experience
Valley Vets
 I volunteer at a local veterinary surgery during my holidays in order to gain valuable workmanship experience. During this I gained valuable experience with talking to customers and advising them on the best products for them. I took phone calls and dealt with enquiries and booked appointments. I also took payments and end of the day cashing up. I ordered stock in and took stock counts in order to make sure the surgery had enough materials and medication in order to run successfully. I learned how to work in a very fast paced environment with a large team of other people.
Activities
 I take part in a group horse riding lesson every week which allows me to work as part of a team. I have also competed in para dressage.
 I am an avid crafter and spend a lot of time working with wool to create felt, one day I hope to expand my mini business of selling my felt to something slightly larger and more successful.

How old are you? I'm guessing about 18? IMO your CV needs to read a little better. For example, tell them about your communication and interpersonal skills, not how friendly you are - they mean the same thing, only one sounds like an educated, mature person and the other sounds a little like a school kid (no offence!!)

Perhaps try something like:

I am a reliable and confident person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. My line manager at my voluntary work placement describes me as conscientious and mature [this is just an example, ask them what they think of you and quote it] and my college reports have all noted my proven communication skills. I have the ability to work as part of a team and on my own initiative, and my voluntary placement has helped me develop good organisational skills. I enjoy being mentally and physically challenged, and find problem solving particularly fulfilling.

I am interested in furthering my education and will be attending Aberystwyth University from September to study Equine Studies. I am looking forward to having the opportunity to further develop my life skills. Upon completion of the course in 20XX, I intend to pursue a career within the equine industry, and my long term aim is to set up my own business doing XXXXX.

When my study commitments allow it, I am a volunteer at the local veterinary practice [insert the name]. I thoroughly enjoy volunteering here and have gained valuable work experience and the opportunity to develop my interpersonal and communication skills. My role here involves daily care of the animals and interacting with the public. In this setting I have developed the ability to work well under pressure as the surgery was often busy, and also the skills to diffuse potentially confrontational situations [unhappy customers?. I was also involved in call handling, stock ordering/handling, accounting and appointment booking which required me to be organised and use my time efficiently.

I am a keen horse rider and take part in weekly riding lessons. This helps keep me physically fit and healthy, and also gives me the opportunity to work as part of a team to care for the horses. I have also competed in para dressage which I enjoyed. In my spare time I also enjoy crafting felts [is this the correct term?] for friends and family. I hope to develop this hobby in the future and sell my crafts at craft fairs.

newrider.com