How to clean a water carrier?

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
My water carrier for the trailer has got quite green inside. Is there any way I can clean this away as otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.

If its plastic i would stick some bleach in it to kill off the algae. Then rinse out loads and loads after.

I wondered about some Milton but would it taint the water and put him off drinking?

Fab. Thanks. Right I’ll try that and wash out lots. How long should I leave it in?

You can also use rice but not sure how effective this would be in a large container!

Milton sterilises in 15 minutes, and doesn't put baby's off their bottles so should be fine, just leave the lid off until it's dry.

Went in and got own brand sterilisation tablets which were tenth of the price of the Milton fluid. So will give it a go tonight and see what happens. Thanks all.

Reactions: domane
Does the green stuff actually harm them? Is it full of harmful bacteria? Or it it just not pleasing to us? Just curious really. You see field water troughs with greenery inside. I don't have one - but I do remember seeing one in the past.

Ziggy much preferred to drink from a green trough. Just sayin' ;)
I cleaned all Ales troughs and buckets out on the same day once and then he got colic which they blamed on dehydration. So now I make sure I always leave one with dirty water when I clean any of the others! I can't leave them indefinitely as we get crows dropping bones and worms in them

newrider.com