How to clean mouldy tack?

Shannon_Clover

Mar 16, 2005
Ireland
www.geriburlesque
As my mare was in foal, I never used her fake leather bridle and real leather headcollar since.
Left them in the shed since last year and just went to check on their condition.
They are covered in white mould dusty yuck! :eek:

So what the best way to clean them and how do I prevent the moulds returning.

Saddle had better care, stored in my walk in warerobe, didnt need a clean at all. Synethic leather.
Of course more expensive than the bridle and headcollar.
May sell the saddle, i cannot see myself returning to riding Shannon.
So she be a broodmare. :(

ive had tack go like that at all, i think its actually the old saddle soap on it that goes mouldy not the leather itself. it usually comes off pretty easily if u clean it as normal then i would oil it. check its not cracked before you use it again tho!!! tack normally gets like that in damp conditions, which lets face it most tack rooms are.

Brush it off first with a body brush, then saddle soap it. Stick a cover on it, clean it regularly and keep it somewhere dry to stop it happening again.

The mould normally just wipes off if you use a slightly damp sponge. If the leather is dry then use some leather oil (or some treatment that claims to soften it) regularly until it softens, and make sure you clean it regularly.
As for the "fake leather" bridle, the mould should wipe off fairly easily depending on the type of material used - is it leather look? You might be able to use some of the cleaner designed for use on synthetic saddles to help get it looking pristine again.
Hope this helps.

newrider.com