How to create 'Bend' and 'flexibility'

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
In my lesson today, which was fab! I really struggled to get any sort of bend out of Stumpy. My fabulous RI told me to keep a firm but steady contact with the outside rein, and to slightly tweak my inside rein whilst placing my inside leg just behind the girth in order to prevent her from drifting.

Does that make any sense? I just would like some further tips on how to create a bit more bend and flexibility - and without to much rein - more legs and seat.

I'm prepared to work hard :p

I'm always told to think about pushing my horses ribs out to the outside of the school - almost leg yielding out to the age of the school, and ride corners not so deep, but leg yield into them.

Also, 5m loops, 20m circles, winding down to 10m, and leg yiekding,or spiralling back out. 3 Loop serpentines with a 10m loop at each point.

Lots of leg yielding is great. And will really get her bending.

Also, make sure she is truly straight - ride on the inner track. Sounds a contradicition to this thing, but true straightness is just as important as bendiness!

..oh and carrot stretches! ALways good for a bendy horse

Also, riding in and out of cones but using your legs and seat to move them through. Start at walk, then trot then canter, then move them closer together.

I am learning the same thing with Captain. He and stumpy are of a similar build and nature so hopefully I will be able to help you. Carrot stretches really do help loads. So do those daily and you will notice a difference. Now as for riding this is what I was told which is very similar to your RI advise. As we are coming into a left lead bend keep the contact on with the outside rein and then open your inside rein and sponge the rein until you can see the corner of stumpys eye. When he is doing as you ask release the pressure from reins. Your inside leg needs to be on at the girth this will help him to bend around the corner. Make sure you dont drop your inside shoulder. Make sure your head is looking around the bend and up to help balance. Has your teacher shown you how to ride using legs, hips and shoulders?? This may help you with your bends. Hope that helps.:)

newrider.com