How to get a horse used to new places?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I want to take ale to dressage at the end of next month but I'm terrified!

He is good to hack new routes but gets a tiny bit excited. But he's only been to a different yard once and he got very strong and silly.

Whilst we can hack to this dressage as its only 10 mins away, I'm worried he's going to go crazy as its a busy venue and he's never been there before and there will be lots of horses. Any tips, was thinking about getting someone else to ride for me but I would really like to. But I'm already worried about it and its only going to get worse! Any tips/advice please

I like Trewser's idea - or as it is only 10 minutes for you, could you hack up there a few times between now and the comp. Maybe ask them if they mind you just riding in, having a little rest on Ale and then riding out and going home? Might help with the excitement if he has been there a few times even if it isn't without the competition participants wandering around.

I don't want to go there prior to it really as its a riding school I used to work at so not only would it be awkward I would feel like I would be in the way. I know the owners and don't think they would appreciate me asking too. But it was a good idea thankyou :)

Reactions: Cortrasna
Good idea, have ridden most of the route before a number of times. I think he is probably better with someone on board too because he gets very bolshy on the ground! I'm just worried that once I get into the arena he will either refuse tp move or go crazy

Maybe the first time you should just take him to have a look - don't try and compete. If he freaks or sticks, just ride him round until he's calm. Aim to get there, ride him ride calmly, and then go home quietly. Whatever he does, you'll be OK. Then you can compete next time.

I think this is a great idea. First time I took Raf to a competition he emptied the warm-up, he was so naughty, but I'm glad to say he's got much better with experience.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on - good luck!

It's all comes down to repetition. The more you go to the better they settle but some venues they just don't like others it's like they live there.

There is no short cuts taking Ale to a comp but not competing is a good idea but also remember that when you go next time he will still react differently as you will be on edge.

I agree with all the above, but you could try rescue remedy for you and him, it just helps to stop whoever getting in a panic or over excited and if you both have it, it should prevent you feeding off each other. Its totally natural so won't so any harm and isn't doping at all.

I'd just go and enter personally. You could always explain it's more of a schooling exercise for you and Ale, therefore actually getting round the test is an achievement. At least this way you can take him in the arena at least for a walk round.

There's only one way to get a horse relaxed at shows and that is to take him to shows and either ride at the ground or compete at an easy level that does not over stress them.

We had one who used to scour himself half to death in the lorry and on the way to shows and at the event. It took one season of doing lots of stuff to make him laid back about it

Lots of times here people may take a horse to competition to get the feel for it and not be competing.
I can't imagine you would be the first person to want to do something like that- but I do understand your being
uncomfortable with it.
Is there any other close place where ale could get a little experience ?

Another thought - I once entered a dressage test but my RI came too, gave us a lesson in the warm up to work us in and not only read the test, but actually instructed me through it. Of course I had to declare that I wasn't competing, but it was perfectly acceptable to the venue and I still got my test sheet back, with feedback and score.

If we ever find a saddle to fit I'll do the same thing again, because I get so nervous at dressage.

Yes, the only way to do it is to do it. Say you are entering just for experience if you are worried about looking bad if he is a prat!

You could give him some calmer with valerian extract before you go out just to take the edge off if you know he is likely to get excited.

I'm really interested in trying rescue remedy, how do you give it to your horse and take yourself? Thanks everyone, I would really like to go but I'm not going to push myself unless I'm ready, I have hopefully found a confident girl to ride him for me which I think is better as can see how he is and she is used to much worse haha

Its just drops, or a spray directly into your mouth, for the horses a sugar lump or treat works well and ive had a few who would lick it right off my hand. Its always part of my first aid kit as usefull for lots of situations including shock and stress, it got my dog through many a firework night :D

Reactions: MrA
I tried rescue remedy once. I felt just as nervous but I also felt sick with the horrible taste of rescue remedy in my mouth!

I think that if your horse is happy hacking to new routes and will go pretty much anywhere you ask him on a hack, then going to a show isn't all that different. Yes, there is the pressure of 'performing' but that is only pressure that you put on yourself. Does it really matter if you go into the arena and don't complete the test. Or if you just go in, walk around and decide to retire?

I think that you should enter and give it your best shot. Don't worry if it doesn't go to plan, just go with a positive and a 'can do' attitude and see what happens. If it all becomes too much then just leave.

Reactions: MrA
I think I have decided that I will get someone else to ride him for this first one (if I can!) And then maybe I can take him to something in summer. Whilst my confidence is growing on him all the time I think if I tried to do this and he freaked out (possible given there will be lots of horses, new sights etc) then it would knock my confidence. I will go along with them and he will gain confidence from that too. I don't like people watching me ride as it is. Let alone however many people will be there!

I'm not a brave person so I think this is the right decision! By the end of the year I would of like to of got him out to a couple of local places within hacking distance and perhaps if they go well a couple of times in a trailer? But it doesn't bother me at all if I'm not the one riding him.

newrider.com