How to get newly backed horse move forward.

Mintygirl

Sep 4, 2021
My newly back horse wont move forward she will follow someone or another horse but not move on her own. I haven't got another horse to follow and dont know what else to do. The saddle and bridle have been fitted so she comfortable. I am struggling to get someone out to help and so want to ride her. Any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Before you backed her did you teach her voice commands from the ground? With my youngsters, from yearlings, when leading I always said "walk on" so they associated the words with forward movement. And "woah" to stop. The same with long-lining and lungeing. First rides were always from the voice, with the gradual introduction of a leg squeeze to back up my voice. Squeezing and kicking a newly-backed horse is akin to speaking to someone in a foreign language and them shouting when they don't understand you.

If your mare has been taught voice commands then she may just be lacking in confidence without you on the ground beside her.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Even a non horsey friend walking with you might help - they don't need to do anything, just walk ahead.

Mintygirl

Sep 4, 2021
Before you backed her did you teach her voice commands from the ground? With my youngsters, from yearlings, when leading I always said "walk on" so they associated the words with forward movement. And "woah" to stop. The same with long-lining and lungeing. First rides were always from the voice, with the gradual introduction of a leg squeeze to back up my voice. Squeezing and kicking a newly-backed horse is akin to speaking to someone in a foreign language and them shouting when they don't understand you.

If your mare has been taught voice commands then she may just be lacking in confidence without you on the ground beside her.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Just a thought, is it worth trying leading her to a spot, say half a mile from home, then riding her home? She might be keener to move in the homeward direction.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I would get an instructor out to help you. Teaching a youngster how to respond to the aids needs to be done properly and if you don't know how to do this, you need to find someone who does.

Reactions: carthorse

Mintygirl

Sep 4, 2021
I would get an instructor out to help you. Teaching a youngster how to respond to the aids needs to be done properly and if you don't know how to do this, you need to find someone who does.
I have struggled to find anyone then the one i had got sick so still looking and back to square one. Thank you

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Find somewhere reputable and send her for a few weeks schooling - specify what you want so if you want her to hack then ask them to do some work on that and make sure you go up and see her worked some of the time. She won't come back perfect but she should have a good grounding in the very basics.