How to introduce a horse to spurs?

Moxie

I got you babe.
Feb 4, 2009
Ayrshire, Scotland.
I've always wondered this particular question, but is there any way to introduce a horse to spurs? Do you place them on his side while doing ground work etc?

I've never actually heard of anyone doing doing ground work with spurs before using them!! Obviously you don't get on and jab them straight into the horse's side - since you're only using them to refine an aid, or to give the horse that little reminder that when the rider asks, they should respond, i would ahve thought you wouldnt actually WANT to spend much time de-sensitising the horse to them. The whole point of spurs is that the horse doesn't become de-sensitised to them.

Very interesting topic!

I was actually talking about this with my friend the other day ... we both have youngsters and were discussing the use of spurs in the training of the horse

However, neither of us have any experience with them so the conversation didn't go very far!

Can't wait to see the responses

I don't recall doing any major introduction work. Use a gentle spur and a kind rider and just be aware the horse may react.

Oh and just to make clear ... i don't have any spurs and do not intend to use them on my youngster!

with very very gentle legs & an slightly more secure seat for the first few sessions wearing them, the response is more often instant & tends to catch people unaware. Your aiming to do no more than gently brush with them, no poking or prodding.

Very interesting topic!

I was actually talking about this with my friend the other day ... we both have youngsters and were discussing the use of spurs in the training of the horse

However, neither of us have any experience with them so the conversation didn't go very far!

Can't wait to see the responses

Thats better! Thanks for the comment and suggesting.

I had a conversation with a good friend and she suggested rubber dummy spurs, genius!

I ride a few horses in spurs including a sharp horse that does not always react to the leg in the correct way, I just got on them all with POW Spurs, you must make sure you keep you toes pointing straight or slightly in as otherwise you can jab them also if they shoot forward onm the first couple of times do not tell them off you want a reaction and you got it try and refine the action.

Do you have lessons if so and have never ridden in spurs its worth askng an instructor to help you the first time.

I use spurs on young and old horses they can be less harsh than a whip TBH and I prefer this I very rarely ride with a whip except SJ or XC and then never really use it

Last edited:
If I'm using them on a horse for the first time I make sure my foot is in a position that doesn't bring the spur in to play then gently rotate foot until spur just touches the sides. Never yet had a major issue.
Remember, just because a person is wearing spurs doesn't mean they have to use them all the time when mounted ;)

ditto gruntfuttock, thats why no-one replied after because she summed up what most people who read the thread were going to say.

aslong as you have a correct lower leg (as in you have control over it at all times), and your toes and ankles are good then wear spurs and use your leg as normal, squeeze with calf then tickle with spur to have more ask :)

newrider.com