How to make a Swingletree or where can I buy one?

I have been longreining Frayne for some time now and she is totally relaxed in full harness. I now want to progress on to getting her used to some weight behind her, ie a tyre. What is the best way of attaching this safely? I have been searching on Google and people mention a swingletree. Can you buy these or how do I make one?

Also someone mentioned pulling back on traces whilst the pony goes forward. Is that something I could try by myself?

Ali xx

To start with we just hold the traces and lean back as we ask the horse to go forwards, just gets them used to the feel of something heavy on the collar.

I got a swingletree off e-bay.

You can male one with a bit of wood, or metal or buy a proper one from any of the horse drawn carriage places.

Thanks, will see if hubby can make me something from all the 'rubbish' lying around on the farm :)

I did the pulling back on the traces thing when we turned for home when longreining her yesterday (figured she would be keener to go forward :rolleyes:). I am not heavy, but I was leaning back with all my strength, and she was very happy to push forward into the breast collar. Amazing power. Will get 2 heavier friends to help out next week.

Ali xx

I used a length of wooden baton, about two and a half feet, knot a length of baler twine around the centre and then take the twine and tie it around the tyre with about 4" between the two. You can then easily fit some spring clips or quick release shackles to it to attach the traces to. I use loops of twine which can be slipped off quickly if necessary.
Make sure you have something to extend your traces as they will not be long enough on their own - old stirrup leathers or similar are ideal.

newrider.com