**How to poulitce or what to use in a difficult area i.e. neck?**

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
Ive just come back from seeing Teddy and I noticed a swelling on his neck when I looked the other side it is in the exact same spot. I then looked through his mane and found a small lump with crusty pus on it. I believe he has put his head through the fence and pierced or punctured his neck right in the mane with barb wire.

I cleaned all the area up and then cleaned it with Hibiscrub but when I gently squeeze it pus is coming out.

What can I do to try and draw the pus out? As it is an impossible area to poultice???

I have poulticed difficult areas by sticking the poultice on with the sticking plaster tape. They have not always stayed on but nothing lost trying. Be careful how you take them off though.

You probably need some antibiotics from the vet.

Good luck

I was thinking he would probably need antibiotics, Im going to see him first thing in the morning so will make a decision then. He is only a yearling so really worried.

archie managed to get an infection under his throat, an entirely impossible area to poultice, but i managed to get one on him for an hour by using a pair of tights, but only did it the once as he realised if he tossed his head about a few times it would fall out :rolleyes: but it might work better on the neck, obviously dont leave him unattended with it on just in case, heres a pic as it easier to show than describe.
154a5b8.jpg
[/IMG]
def get some antibiotics though, iv just completed two weeks and thought id see if it had cleared as it wasnt pssy any more and one day off them and theres still a little puss coming out, so got to go back tomorrow and get more.

if you cant poultice, just put some antibiotic cream on it, thats what i did and the vet said it was ok as it was a difficult area to poultice.

newrider.com